This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon's largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We're searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world's clean energy future!Supervisor - Field Office Rose City Core
In this role, you'll provides oversight to field transmission and distribution employees in safely installing, maintaining and repairing the power delivery system. This position is located at our Rose City Core location and supervises underground operations.
Key Job Information Supervisor, Field Operations 6788 Grade 8; Career Level: M1 Supervisor
Field Staff Management:
- Supervises one or more field supervisors that supervise and/or a team of technical bargaining unit staff (typically journeymen or equivalent) responsible for performing operational work to ensure the safe, timely and efficient completion of work efforts relating to the construction, operation, maintenance and emergency restoration of the electric transmission and distribution system;
- Responsible for the overall line operations of the line center; ensures daily supervision of team, ensuring that all relevant standards/procedures are followed.
- Sets safety expectations with field supervisors and/or employees and holds them accountable; plans work in a way that ensures safe operational practices;
- Resolves safety issues/concerns in an appropriate and timely manner; communicates safety lessons learned and promotes continuous learning of safe work methods, practices and procedures.
- Plans and structures work in a way that aligns to union contracts and agreements; contributes to resolution of grievances and concerns in a timely and complete manner;
- Partners with local union leadership and Labor Relations/Human Resources to develop a healthy working relationship, build a collaborative environment and deal with employee issues.
Plan and Direct Operations:
- Plans and directs overall work to ensure timely and efficient execution; ensures programs and personnel are in place and trained to fulfill work orders, requirements and customer needs; translates corporate and unit objectives into operating goals that support corporate strategy;
- Ensures productivity and accountability by establishing and monitoring and is responsible for individual and unit performance metrics, responsible for the budget for their department;
- Evaluates and strategically plans for training requirements to ensure cost-efficient operations for long-term competitiveness.
- Coordinates jobs with other PGE departments and forms strong cross-functional working relationships in coordinating activities and expediting information and material sharing;
- Provides company-wide subject matter expertise for area supervised;
- Leads, coordinates or participates in special projects.
Coordinates jobs with customers; provides timely information to all customers; is responsive and proactive in addressing all customer concerns and complaints in a timely and responsive manner.
Compliance: Enforces crew compliance with federal, state and company requirements.
Monitors and manages expenditures, ensuring that all financial targets are met, and examines any areas where budgets/expenditures vary from plan.
Implements resourcing decisions and planning for team; partners with HR in the definition of jobs, recruitment, evaluation and selection processes.
- Maintains knowledge of skill-development tools/resources; advises on required outcomes for learning or development from knowledge of available tools and organizational development needs;
- Assists employees in creating development plans and monitors progress.
Education: Requires a bachelor's degree in IT, business, engineering or related field or equivalent directly-related union experience.
Experience: Prefer five or more years of experience in electric utility with a focus on transmission and distribution or a related field; one year of leadership experience preferred. Working ability to design work. Working ability to uphold values.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of utility operations. including tools and equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of policies and procedures related to area of specialization (service and installation or substation, for example).
- Advanced knowledge of crew functions and duties related to area of specialization.
- Advanced knowledge of tools and equipment used in PGE meter operations.
- Advanced knowledge of vehicle, equipment and tool functional limits related to line construction.
- Advanced knowledge of PUC requirements for construction, repair and service work.
- Advanced knowledge of safe construction methods and PGE's standards of construction.
- Advanced knowledge of PGE's electric service requirements, National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and National Electric Code (NEC).
- Advanced knowledge of all PGE and Oregon OSHA safety rules.
- Advanced knowledge of personal protective equipment.
- Intermediate knowledge of department policies, practices, goals and objectives.
- Working knowledge of applicable collective bargaining agreement(s).
- Working knowledge of applicable federal and state laws, such as, but not limited to, DOT, ODOT, FERC and OPUC.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office software, customer information systems and other PGE systems.
- Working knowledge of PGE's geographic service area.
- Working knowledge of PUC meter and billing requirements (level of expertise needed depends on area of specialization).
- Working knowledge of tailboard process and risk mitigation.
- Advanced analytical thinking skills.
- Advanced conflict resolution skills.
- Advanced customer focus skills.
- Advanced decision-making skills.
- Intermediate negotiation skills.
- Advanced organization and prioritization skills.
- Advanced problem-solving skills. Intermediate project management skills.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills.
- Drives Results
- Plans and Aligns
- Decision Quality
- Drives Engagement
Physical and Cognitive Demands:
- Ability to adhere to set response times, deadlines and time-sensitive tasks
- Ability to follow accuracy standards
- Ability to follow through on decision-making tasks
- Ability to interact effectively and collaboratively within a team environment
- Ability to communicate and problem solve when under stress
- Ability to respond and adapt to frequent change
- Ability to accept and demonstrate self-awareness when provided constructive feedback
- Ability to discern feedback and acknowledge ownership of areas of improvement
- Ability to avoid future mistakes by applying reasonable skills to new but similar work situations or tasks
- Ability to successfully collaborate with peers, managers and others within the organization
- Demonstrates sound memory
- Ability to process new information to be applied consistently to work tasks
- Ability to work long hours
- Ability to work a variable schedule
- Ability to report to work and perform work during periods of severe inclement weather
- Ability to consistently meet attendance standards for regular, reliable, predictable, full-time attendance
- This position requires a valid driver's license and a history of safe driving practices.
- Frequent driving/travel/commute: daily within service territory (at least once a week or more)
- Occasional driving/travel/commute: Overnight inside/outside the service territory - (one to two times a month or less)
- Computer use (use computer regularly for entire work shift)
- Lifting/pushing/pulling: Up to 50 lbs.
- Carrying: Up to 50 lbs.
- Unstable surfaces requiring balance:
- Elevated areas (i.e., catwalks, roofs and high buildings)
- Confined spaces
- Walking distances and surfaces (long distances and over rough, uneven or rocky surfaces)
- Stairs (over 10 steps)
- Ladders (over 10 rungs)
Environment: Office, Plant, Field
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact:
This job posting will close at 12:01 am Pacific Time on the closing date listed below:
Apply on company website