This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon's largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We're searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world's clean energy future!Summary
Perform the functions of a mid-level engineer under general supervision by providing expertise for the conceptual design, programming and configuration development, testing, and commissioning of SCADA and Automation systems used in power utility substations and distribution systems. The work consists of complex assignments within a defined nature in applying industrial and/or utility automation and SCADA standards for selecting and programming both field and central system components. Ensure substation integration and automation systems provide clear, concise, and real time operational field information for System Control Center Dispatch functions, which coordinates with EMS and Pi databases that are structured to match substation equipment. Ensure various systems are properly linked with EMS and Pi using applicable interfaces and protocols. At NERC critical asset sites ensure equipment and configuration meets CIP regulatory requirements. There is one opening and the level will be commensurate with experience.Responsibilities
- Develop integration and automation architecture for substation and distribution projects
- Specification and Configuration of a variety of vendor equipment including, but not limited to:
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Remote Terminal Units (RTU's)
- Transducers and Meters
- Communication Processors
- Gateway devices
- Electronic Relays used for power system protection
- Major Equipment (Breaker, Transformer, Bushing etc.) monitoring devices
- Network equipment including Ethernet switches, routers, terminal servers etc.
- Human Machine Interface programs and Hardware.
- Modems, media converters, radios and other communication devices.
- Development of Automation logic utilizing IEC 61131-3 and Ladder Logic programming languages
- Develop HMI displays for substations and DA systems
- Develop SCADA points list for RTU's to be interfaced with System Control Center SCADA/EMS system
- Assist technicians in troubleshooting complex SCADA, Communications, and control and logic systems in the field.
- Provide field testing and commissioning support for technicians.
- Drive end to end testing for EMS/SCADA systems.
- Routine substation visits for equipment and technician support.
- Support a documentation system for SCADA and Automation hardware and software programs
- Support engineering reviews of new substation SCADA, Integration and Automation system designs and equipment.
- Provide engineering support for real-time operational data to System Control Center.
- Design, maintain and troubleshoot Control Center SCADA Equipment used for interchange telemetering, UG Network Monitoring, Recloser/Distribution SCADA and Distribution Automation and mobile/temp switchgear monitoring.
- Provide technical support to NERC-CIP compliance activities and act as SME for SCADA and Substation Automation equipment.
- Communicate verbally and in writing with engineers and company management to present and justify automation systems.
- Provide consultation and technical expertise to various PGE departments.
- Communicate with other utilities' personnel to share information and provide technical expertise.
- Provide cost effective integration solutions for integrating devices using multiple standards and technologies.
- Solve integration and automation challenges at various substations where multiple equipment and integration standards are used.
- Keep up with rapidly changing integration and automation technology
- Keep up with rapidly changing networking, programming and software technology.
- Investigate system construction, maintenance, and operational problems and recommend corrective action.
- Analyze causes and recommend solutions to complex but routine operational maintenance problems.
- Evaluate and resolve technically complex problems, broad problems with numerous variables of uncertain relationship and magnitude.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering from an ABET-accredited engineering program or program accredited by an equivalent agency.
- Experience: For the Associate Level - Two or more years in related field. For the Staff Level - Eight or more years in related field or five or more years in related field with PE license.
- Professional Engineering (PE) license strongly preferred; may be required based upon role.
- Working knowledge of various devices used for industrial control systems (PLC, Transducers, I/O devices)
- A basic understanding of electric utility substation protection and control systems
- Ability to read substation schematic and wiring diagrams
- Familiarity with substation equipment and operating mechanisms
- Ability to validate data collected by the integration systems.
- Working knowledge of various major equipment monitoring devices and associated communication and configuration programs and functionality.
- Ability to develop logic using ladder logic programming and IEC61131-3 standards.
- Working knowledge of communication and networking standards such as TIA/EIA RS-232 & RS-485, Fiber Optic and Ethernet.
- Excellent knowledge of SCADA protocols DNP 3.0, Modbus (Serial and TCP/IP), Modbus Plus, L&G 8979, OPC and ICCP.
- Thorough knowledge of Network design (TCI/IP and Modbus Plus) and OSI Layers.
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP networks, subnets and routing and network services and management tools such as SNTP, NTP, PPTP and SNMP.
- Basic understanding of scripting languages (Java, VB, Python etc.)
- Ability to troubleshoot SCADA protocol and SCADA network related issues.
- Ability to troubleshoot and resolve complex logic programming issues, substation network issues, device malfunction etc.
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Effective group presentation skills
- Effective human relations skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering
- Successful completion of the Fundamentals of Engineering exam is preferred.
- Typically requires 3+ years of experience in industrial automation, utility automation and/or SCADA experience.
- Deal effectively with pressure of real-time problem solving.
- Evaluate technical programming requirements for automation projects.
- Work on complex programming problems for substation SCADA and automation equipment.
- Ability to spend extended period in non-office environments.
- Possess the physical ability to access installed equipment at locations (substations, plants, facilities) and perform required duties at these locations in all weather conditions
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact:
This job posting will close at 12:01 am Pacific Time on the closing date listed below:
Apply on company website