This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon's largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We're searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world's clean energy future!
Portland General Electric is looking for an experienced individual with an understanding of distribution grid operations who is forward-thinking and interested in learning new technology. In this role, you will work with our new Advanced Distribution Management System (ADMS), providing real-time support for the Distribution System Operators.
PGE is charting a course to the clean energy future our customers desire and deserve. An upcoming milestone on this journey is the implementation of an Advanced Distribution Management System (ADMS), which will enable us to monitor and control our distribution grid in real-time. PGE is among the first utilities in the U.S. to adopt this new technology and is implementing the first of a five-phase program that will integrate D-SCADA, Outage Management System (OMS), and other applications to optimize two-way power flows, support customer generation and smart home devices, micro-grids and more.
This position may be hired at a staff or senior level and will be determined by experience as outlined below.
- Provides professional engineering expertise on distribution design, code interpretation and distribution standards and equipment specifications (e.g., switches, reclosers, network protectors, distribution automation equipment); provides expertise in distribution design and code interpretation to resolve complex problems on the distribution system.
- Completes and reviews engineering analyses and prioritizes and supports complex system restoration efforts involving network systems, core areas and major customers; identifies trends/patterns in outage reports and proposes solutions to complex distribution reliability problems; proposes distribution expansion projects needed to increase operational flexibility; responds to unplanned outages and leads efforts to restore the distribution system and service to customers.
- Proposes projects needed for expansion of the distribution system to add capacity and operational flexibility; provides recommendations to management for viable alternative solutions to complex distribution reliability and system-hardening problems; serves as work order owner for distribution maintenance and feeder getaway projects.
- Actively advances knowledge management of the enterprise and provides mentoring; participates in professional societies and technical committees and may assist with code/standard authoring; is externally recognized in the industry as a technical expert; reviews engineering work, resolves resource conflicts and identifies training needs.
- Understands the holistic impact of a customer relationship and builds trusted relationships working directly with customer's senior management and technical staff; communicates complex concepts to customers.
- Provides professional engineering guidance and oversight on complex distribution standards and equipment specifications (e.g., switches, reclosers, network protectors, regulators, distribution automation equipment); provides expertise and oversight in distribution design and code interpretation to resolve broad and complex problems on the distribution system.
- Leads complex system restoration efforts and consultation efforts with line crews, identifying broad and complex engineering analyses and solutions to complex distribution reliability problems; leads the scoping development and review of distribution expansion designs; provides mentoring of less experienced engineers; presents recommendations to senior management.
- Proposes projects needed for expansion of the distribution system to add capacity and operational flexibility; provides recommendations to management for viable alternative solutions to complex distribution reliability and system-hardening problems; serves as work order owner for distribution maintenance, feeder getaway and underground core projects. Leads projects with impact across the distribution system.
- Serves as a liaison to external customers; provides job status updates, requests additional design information, investigates outages and power quality issues, follows up on customer technical issues and provides information to Distribution Planning.
- Understands the holistic impact of a customer relationship and builds trusted relationships working directly with customer's senior management and technical staff; communicates complex concepts to customers
- Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from an ABET accredited engineering program or program accredited by an equivalent agency.
- Staff Level: Eight or more years in engineering or five or more years in a related field with PE license.
- Senior Level: Ten or more years in engineering.
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact:
This job posting will close at 12:01 am Pacific Time on the closing date listed below:2021-06-03-07:00
Apply on company website