This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon's largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We're searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world's clean energy future!
The Data Strategy & Management (DS&M) team bears critical responsibility on behalf of Portland General Electric (PGE) to create value for customers, regulators, policy makers, shareholders and business operations through the collection, organization and interpretation of data from PGE's expansive portfolio of data generating assets, as well as data available from the electric grid, related public and private infrastructure and our service delivery ecosystems.
This individual collaborates with the business to answer business questions by using data mining techniques, including pattern detection, graph analysis or statistical analysis. He/she will work closely with the Information Architect, Data Architect, Data Engineer, other data scientists, and Business SME's to gather the criteria that would need to be taken into consideration, the expected qualification and assurance of the information in support of the use cases, identify the information sources (internal or external to the organization) that can support the analysis. Develop cost-benefit analyses and value realization framework that other scientists can follow.
This individual will work with the data steward to ensure that the information used is in compliance with the regulatory and security policies in place. This includes qualifying where information can be stored or what information external to the organization may be used in support of the use case. He/she should be able to do data wrangling, model training, user engagement, assess the volume of data supporting the initiative, the type of data it is (images, text, clickstream or metering data) and the speed or sudden variations in data collection.
This individual will work closely with the Principal Data Scientist.
- Follow the overall data science standards, guidelines, best practices and approved modeling techniques. Suggest improvements as necessary.
- Work with the business stakeholders to identify what the business requirements are and the expected outcome. Model and frame business scenarios that are meaningful and which impact on critical business processes and/or decisions.
- Working with and alongside business analysts, information architect, and data architect, identify what data is available and relevant, including internal and external data sources, leveraging new data collection processes such as smart meters and geo-location information or social media. Work with Data Engineers to support data collection, integration and retention requirements based on the input received.
- The cost of getting the data will impact on what sources should be considered, either because the data needs to be purchased from a third party or because of the complexity of the source. Develop cost-benefit models to justify the data purchase/collation.
- Work with the data steward to ensure that the information used follows the compliance, access management and control policies of the organization and that it meets the qualification and assurance requirements of the business. Data stewards and data scientists will need to define the data quality expectation in the context of the specific use case.
- Work in iterative processes with the business and validate findings. Expose the rationale of the findings in easy to understand terms by leveraging tools such as Tableau for the business especially the ones that contradict common belief.
- Include experimental design approaches to validate findings by comparing appropriate samples. Develop approaches for validation regardless of the use case.
- Suggest ongoing improvements to methods and algorithms that lead to findings, including new information. For example, refining suggestions based on client's interests, geographic location, age or gender, rather than just based on overall buying pattern.
- Understand the use and ability to employ the appropriate algorithm to discover patterns.
- Timely delivery of analysis. Due to the experimental approach to the problem, data scientists are at risk of over analyzing. Being able to define a "good enough" result is critical.
- Develop and maintain data science products that will help improve the ways in which we conduct business, increase our throughput thru operational efficiencies.
- Educate the Data & Strategy Management organization on new approaches, such as testing hypotheses and statistical validation of results.
- Develop best practices and guidelines for data science initiatives.
- Establish metrics for tracking and measuring the value of data science initiatives.
- This role will work with the principal data scientists and collaborate with other data scientists in the team/company.
Education / Experience
- Requires a bachelor's degree in computer science, electrical engineering, economics or other related field or equivalent experience. MSc or PhD in mathematics, statistics or computer science or related field, such as physics or economics.
- Total experience of 3 or more years with vertical industry (utility background) is desired.
- Two to three years of experience in data or statistical analysis, with mathematical and causal modeling skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. The ability to communicate with the business to understand requirements and present back findings and recommendations by demonstrating the potential value to the organization.
- Self-starter. The ability to come up with solutions to loosely defined business problems by leveraging pattern detection over potentially large datasets. He/she is expected to define the problem space based on industry or technological threats.
- Strong programming skills, Java, Python, statistical modeling, SQL, NOSQL (DynamoDB) and depending on the scope of the project, text mining or machine learning.
- Knowledge of implementing and maintaining machine learning algorithms using AWS platform and retraining the models.
- Ability to present results from critical analyses to senior and executive management
- Advanced business acumen and interpersonal skills; able to work across business lines at senior levels to influence and effect change to achieve common goals.
- Substantial data literacy — the ability to describe data sources and management concepts, and analytical approaches/options. The ability to translate among the languages used by executive, business, IT and quant stakeholders.
- Mastery in oral and written communication skills, including the ability to explain data concepts and technologies to business leaders, as well as business concepts to technologists.
- Proven record of effective leadership, including the ability to balance team and individual responsibilities; building consensus; getting things done through others not directly under his/her supervision; working ethically and with integrity.
Behaviors/Competencies & Abilities required
- Substantial use of logic or scientific thinking to define problems, collect information, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Substantial ability to lead positive change.
- Substantial ability to achieve results.
- Substantial ability to design work.
- Substantial ability to uphold values.
- Substantial role competence.
- Ability to adhere to set response times, deadlines and time-sensitive tasks.
- Ability to follow accuracy standards.
- Ability to follow through on decision-making tasks.
- Ability to interact effectively and collaboratively within a team environment.
- Ability to communicate and problem solve when under stress.
- Ability to respond and adapt to frequent change.
- Ability to accept and demonstrate self-awareness when provided constructive feedback.
- Ability to discern feedback and acknowledge ownership of areas of improvement.
- Ability to avoid future mistakes by applying reasonable skills to new but similar work situations or tasks.
- Ability to successfully collaborate with peers, managers and others within the organization.
- Demonstrates sound memory.
- Ability to process new information to be applied consistently to work tasks.
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact:
This job posting will close at 12:01 am Pacific Time on the closing date listed below:
Apply on company website