This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon's largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We're searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world's clean energy future!Job Description
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 1st, 2021
Customer Service Advisor, PGE Call Center
Temp to Hire, Part-time
Starting Wage: Pay rate to be $21.00 per hour
Eligible for medical benefits, paid time off and 401(k)
*Additional pay for bilingual Advisors who take Spanish or Russian calls
What is it like to be an Advisor at PGE?
Customers rely on PGE to keep the lights on; and PGE relies on its Advisors to be there when a storm hits, or a tough call comes in. Advisors must be reliable, respectful, empathetic and resourceful.
The stakes are high, but the work is rewarding, and we make it fun, too. There is no script to follow, no hard sales and no outgoing call quota to reach. PGE Advisors focus on the customer and work on fast-paced motivated teams; receive coaching and feedback from highly trained supervisors; learn about green renewable resources, energy efficiency, and enjoy working as a trusted energy advisor.
We are hiring trainee positions at our Contact Center. These positions are set to start on April 5th, 2021. Schedules for this position fall between the hours of 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday with start times varying day to day. Schedules are released 2 weeks in advance. Part-time hours are typically 20-30 hours per week.
Do you have prior customer service experience?
- Type at least 20 words per minute? Use Microsoft Office applications proficiently?
- Learn a new computer system within a couple of days?
- Attend a comprehensive training lasting up to 7 weeks from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., Monday through Friday?
- After training work Monday through Friday, within the hours of 9 a.m. - 6 p.m., with varied shifts?
- Highly reliable and dependable?
- Good at analyzing an issue, comfortable with suggesting solutions/options to a customer and passionate about offering a great customer experience?
- Good at steering a conversation?
- Willing to take back-to-back calls every day?
- Comfortable talking to people who are upset?
- Comfortable managing lots of tasks at once?
- Good at basic math?
- Good at following directions and procedures?
It's not required, but it's even better if you:
- Are fluent in Spanish or Russian
Regular, part-time and regular full-time positions may be available at the end of trainee assignment, depending on business need and performance. Customer Service Advisors that pass the bilingual assessment in Spanish or Russian and are taking bilingual calls, are eligible for a shift differential at $1.25 per hour.
Here are some frequently asked questions about the hiring process for Customer Service Advisors:
What is the application process?
When you apply to a position, your profile and answers to any job questions are measured against the job requirements. Please make sure your resume is up to date and is uploaded with your application, and you answer all the questions at the end of the application.
Within one week, you should receive an email with a link to take some assessments. These assessments take about 30-40 minutes total to complete.
Here is our planned timeline for our April 5th, 2021 class:
- Position posted through March 1, 2021
- Skill and aptitude assessments scheduled through March 12th, 2021.
- After applying and taking the skill and aptitude assessments, top candidates will go through a phone interview between February 8th-March 9th, 2021.
- Video Interviews conducted between February 17th-March 19th, 2021.
- Pre-employment process includes drug screen, background check (public record and confirmation of high school diploma or GED) and an employment verification check.
- Start date is Monday April 5th, 2021 for a paid training.
How will Portland General Electric contact me if they are interested in my application?
We want your experience with our recruiters to be a good one. Our recruiters typically reach out to job candidates via the email you have provided to us in your application.
I have an interview. What can I do to prepare?
We are looking for candidates that we feel will be successful in the role. Typically, we have found they possess these strengths: excellent customer service skills, embrace lots of changes, teamwork, computer savvy, and follow PGE's core practices. They also show awareness for the Advisor role, and are knowledgeable about, and show enthusiasm for, working at PGE. Instead of just listing your strengths, describe what you have accomplished as a result of those strengths.
Most interviews at Portland General Electric are behavior-based. This means our recruiters and hiring managers will ask about specific professional situations you've been in and your accomplishments. For example, if you mention that you're efficient, you'll be asked to provide specific examples from your work history that illustrate this.
Portland General Electric recruiters suggest you:
- Familiarize yourself with the content of your resume
- Review the position description to determine how your background applies
- Be prepared to cite examples of your key professional accomplishments or related academic work
- Read some basic information about Portland General Electric's history, value system, and our community outreach at portlandgeneral.com
- Prepare a list of job-related questions that you can bring to the interview
If I don't get this job, can I continue to apply for other Portland General Electric positions?
Yes, you can. Our positions are updated regularly on our Careers website and make sure that your profile is updated for the position you are applying for.
What PGE's Customer Service Advisors are saying:
"I am blown away on a daily basis by the unconditional support and all staff at the Tualatin Contact Center. It is unlike anything I have ever experienced before. That kind of support breeds respect and loyalty that you just don't find in other workplace environments..."
"...Even though I'm new to PGE I feel like I've been successful...I understand that learning is an ongoing process with the nature of the company and as time goes on I will continue to strive and become even more successful."
"I enjoy my job and the work I do. Is it stressful at times? Yes, however I feel that what I do makes a difference and I look forward to watching the day unfold and resolving complex issues for all of my customers..."
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact:
This job posting will close at 12:01 am Pacific Time on the closing date listed below:2021-03-01-08:00
Apply on company website