The Line Cook / Head Cook participates in the preparation, cooking and serving of all food items to residents, guests, and partners under strict sanitary conditions. Perform other appropriate related tasks and all unrelated assigned duties as determined by the supervisors.
- Reads menu to estimate food requirements. Procures food from storage.
- Prepares and cooks food in accordance with company standards.
- Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipes, uses a variety of kitchen utensils and equipment, such as blenders, mixers, grinders, choppers, slicers, ovens, cook tops, to prepare soups, salads, gravies, desserts, sauces, casseroles and other menu items.
- Bakes, roast, steams, broils, fries meats, fish, poultry, vegetables and other foods.
- Adds seasoning to food during mixing and cooking, according to recipe. Discusses necessary recipe adjustments with supervisor.
- Observes and test food being cooked by tasting, smelling, and taking temperatures to determine that it is cooked to the proper level of doneness.
- Carves meats, portions food in serving pans or on serving plates, adds gravies, sauces, and garnishes to panned and plated foods.
- May wash, peel, cut and shred vegetables and fruits to prepare them for use.
- May butcher chickens, fish, meats.
- May bake breads, rolls and pastries.
- Maintains sanitation and orderliness of all equipment, supplies and utensils in work area.
- Coordinates work with other food service employees to prevent waste and to facilitate utilization of any overproduction.
- Responsible for replenishing food and items providing back up on service line for dining center customers.
- Selects and develops recipes were needed.
- Cooks and otherwise prepares foods according to recipes.
- Cuts, trims, bones and carves meats and poultry for cooking.
- Portions cooked foods as to size of portions and methods of garnishing.
- Follows prep sheet in order to prepare items for next day's meals.
Education: High School or GED preferred.
Licensure/Certification: None required
Experience: 2 to 5 year's cooking experience in LTC or similar setting preferred.
Apply on company website