2701 NW Vaughn St. Ste 800
Job Post Information* : Posted Date
Job Post Information* : External Company Name
OnPoint Community Credit Union
Job Post Information* : External Company URL
Location : Postal Code
Job Post Information* : Post End Date
- Juris Doctorate degree from accredited law school.
- Active memberships in the Oregon and Washington State Bar associations are required.
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience, either as in-house counsel or as outside counsel advising on financial institution consumer compliance, corporate governance matters, and banking/credit union regulatory issues.
- Previous experience working with directors and regulators is required. Must be well versed in regulatory and risk management issues.
- Provides expert and strategic advice to management and business units on legal matters. Provides advice on legal risks and complex legal matters and proactively provides solutions that consider multiple inputs, applicable risks and impacts.
- Drafts, negotiates and advises concerning material agreements and oversees the review of non-material agreements to minimize risks and maximize legal rights in alignment with corporate risk posture.
- Manages complex, significant matters that cut across legal and related areas. May provide guidance on material purchases and sales, acquisitions, engagement of vendors for new and complex services, complex business loans, and current and/or future business structures and legal entities.
- Sets internal governance policies managing risk, the impact of external factors and the effectiveness of internal operations. Those policies may include, but are not limited to, ethics and conflict of interest policies.
- Facilitates the implementation of governance policies, practices and systems and the continuous improvement in governance. Promotes corporate governance and, as needed, provide general legal education and training to company personnel.
- Ensures business practices and policies/procedures meet regulatory requirements.
- Monitors and provides comment on pending legislation and regulation. May participate on advisory committees to regulators and related government agencies. Drafts and recommends to management the credit union's position on legal and regulatory issues.
- Assesses the merits of cases filed against or on behalf of the credit union and work to define a strategic defense and approve settlements of disputes where warranted.
- Engages and manages outside counsel to ensure costs are within budget, and supervises and coordinates work performed by outside counsel.
- Maintains the patent and trademark portfolios for the company and apply for intellectual property registrations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough understanding and high-level knowledge of all aspects of the legal, regulatory, and compliance matters impacting credit unions and the financial services industry, and must have a thorough high-level understanding of credit union operations.
- Adept at recommending business decisions in light of governing regulations and the goals of the credit union.
- Highly analytical, ability to develop legal strategy, and exercises sound independent judgement and strong risk assessment skills.
- Collaborative, tactful, strong written and verbal communication skills, and ability to interact effectively with all levels throughout the organization.
- Significant level of diplomacy, trust, and confidentiality. High degree of professional ethics and integrity. Fosters sound relationships with other entities, companies, and/or individuals.
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner.”
- Strong leadership skills used in influencing both direct and indirect relationships.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Occasional travel.
Apply on company website