BASIC FUNCTION: Perform a variety of highly difficult, technical duties requiring excellent communication skills; utilize specialized knowledge and independent judgment involving frequent and responsible public contact; plan, organize and coordinate a program for providing case management services to students in various career vocational education or other education programs.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES: (Incumbents may perform any combination of the essential functions shown below. This position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, knowledge, or abilities associated with this classification, but is intended to accurately reflect the principal job elements).
E = Essential Functions
- Perform a variety of highly difficult, technical duties requiring excellent communication skills; utilize specialized knowledge and independent judgment involving frequent and responsible public contact; plan, organize and coordinate a program for providing case management services to students in various career vocational or other education programs. E
- May train and direct assigned staff and participate in the interview and selection of new employees; process personnel records; make recommendations concerning staffing utilizing District policies and procedures. E
- Plan and implement a comprehensive program of needed services for students in association with the appropriate District department and various Federal, State and local agencies. E
- Work with site staff to monitor the attendance, grades and work of students. E
- Conduct research, analyze data and compile reports to improve the effectiveness of the case management services. E
- Provide assistance in problem solving related to economic needs. E
- Organize parent support groups and provide assistance for vocational training or counseling services. E
- Make home visits as required. E
- Attend meetings within the District and with outside agencies to provide for the mutual assistance and support for individuals enrolled in various career vocational education programs or other District education programs. E
- Promote educational programs, cooperation, conflict resolution, self-esteem, goal setting, academic achievement and attendance to identified students. E
- Operate a computer to input, output, update, and access a variety of records and information; generate reports, records, lists and summaries from computer database. E
- Provide excellent customer service by establishing positive relationships with community agencies and organizations, District personnel and others; respond to phone calls, e-mails, letters, and other communications. E
- Promote teamwork by sharing knowledge, cooperating with others, participating in meetings and work groups, and supporting the goals and objectives of the District. E
- Communicate with students, parents, teachers, District personnel, and outside organizations to coordinate activities, exchange information, determine needs, and resolve issues or concerns. E
- Perform related duties as assigned.
TRAINING, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Any combination of education, training and/or experience equivalent to: a Bachelors Degree plus related courses, and three years of relevant experience.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Valid California driver's license.
- Employment eligibility that may include fingerprints, Tuberculosis and/or other employment clearance.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Highly difficult, technical case management issues Individual and group behavior and effects of social and economic forces on individuals
- Diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds
- Principles and techniques of interviewing and recording information
- Community resources
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Telephone techniques, systems and etiquette
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy; good communication skills and techniques
- District policies, applicable sections of the State Education Code and other laws and regulations
- Methods to interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Computer software, hardware, and related technology
- Presentation, communication and public speaking techniques
- Research methods, report writing and record-keeping techniques
- Principles and practices of effective leadership
- Perform a variety of highly difficult, technical duties involving specialized knowledge and independent judgment to provide case management services
- Coordinate, plan and organize case management activities and related functions
- Identify at-risk or high-risk students and determine and evaluate needs
- Communicate with students with patience and understanding
- Develop constructive solutions to problems and prepare appropriate resources
- Coordinate activities with others to meet the needs of students in areas related to attendance, attitude and achievement
- Maintain confidentiality as appropriate
- Plan, prepare and deliver oral presentations
- Communicate clearly; understand and interpret
- District and other rules, policies and procedures
- Understand and follow oral and written directions; work independently Work with computer software, hardware, and related technology
- Meet schedules and time lines
- Maintain records; analyze situations accurately and take appropriate action
- Work cooperatively with others
- Complete work accurately and as directed with many interruptions
- Organize, coordinate and prioritize a large volume of activities, programs and services
- Identify and resolve school site and department issues in a timely manner
Office and school environment; driving a vehicle to conduct work; flexible schedule; constant interruptions.
Hearing and speaking to exchange information in person or on the telephone; seeing to file a variety of documents; reaching overhead, above the shoulders or horizontally, or bending at the waist to retrieve or store records or files; dexterity of hands and fingers to operate standard office equipment; lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling light objects.
The Oakland Unified School District does not discriminate in any program, activity, or in employment on the basis of actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran status, gender, sex, or sexual orientation.
Apply on company website