Telecommunications and networking are undergoing a significant transformation, with the retirement of legacy technologies such as Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) and Synchronous Optical Networking (SONET) in favor of more powerful, modern technologies such as optical fiber, Ethernet, 4G/5G wireless. The most profound architectural change since the introduction of Internet Protocol (IP) is underway, in the form of more virtualized, software controlled networks that promise greater agility, lower cost and better security. Federal government organizations must transform their networks and operations to reap these benefits and many are considering doing so either during or after their transitions to the new GSA Enterprise Infrastructure Solutions (EIS) omnibus telecommunications contract program.
Noblis has almost 3 decades serving Federal clients with forward-looking telecommunications and networking expertise. As part of a Noblis team, candidates will work closely with government clients to understand current issues and challenges, generate practical and effective SDN- and SD-WAN-based solutions, and assist with acquisition, deployment, and management of those solutions, typically working “on the government side of the table” as an unbiased, trusted partner. Candidates may support agency transitions to EIS, assist clients with network virtualization strategies and support ongoing telecommunications network modernization strategies for the FAA.
- Apply systems engineering, telecommunications and networking engineering, and information assurance principles and knowledge; define and document technical requirements; support planning and scheduling activities; perform technical market research and analyses of vendor capabilities; perform feasibility analyses and technical risk assessments; provide SME support to government evaluations of industry proposals.
- Apply education, training or experience in telecommunications technologies, services or protocols, especially Software Defined Networking (SDN), Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) and Software-Defined Wide Area Networking (SD-WAN), along with other current technologies and services, such as Ethernet, IP Multiprotocol Label Switching (IP-MPLS), optical networking, and zero trust networking with network segmentation. Knowledge of legacy TDM technology and services is also useful.
- Working independently with general instruction, adapt and apply Noblis' principles, concepts, processes, tools and methodologies to solve real-world problems in a team environment, with special focus on the development of integrated enterprise solution architectures employing virtualized network infrastructure under software control.
- Lead/contribute to solution development for integration of cloud-based applications, e.g. Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS), and Federal network security guidance, e.g., Trusted Internet Connections (TIC) 3.0, into secure SDN/SD-WAN architectures. Provide expert advisory support to the FAA Enterprise Network Services (FENS) Program. Assist with FAA TDM-IP migration testing.
- Develop and apply knowledge of Federal acquisition practices and regulations to the competitive best value procurement of telecommunications and networking services and solutions at the complex agency enterprise network level.
- Research, understand and analyze the current market for and trends in telecommunications products and services and network-enabled IT products and services including market segmentation analysis.
- Propose and execute Noblis Sponsored Research (NSR) projects. Assist with the ongoing management and development of the Noblis Network and Cloud Virtualization Test Bed and its use for client demonstrations, prototyping, research and application testing.
Communication and Interpersonal
- Demonstrate verbal and written communications skills sufficient to understand and articulate requirements for architecting, specifying, provisioning, and managing telecommunications services and network-enabled IT services via government-wide acquisition vehicles.
- Prepare and/or contribute to technical reports, memos, analyses and briefings. Plan and manage assigned deliverables.
- Support meetings, inter-team communication, and issue resolution with the client and internal/project stakeholder groups. Visit and potentially work at customer sites.
- Work closely and collaboratively with Noblis team leaders and members.
- Contribute technical expertise to marketing and business development activities.
- A Bachelor's (Master's or PhD degree is a plus) in a technical discipline such as Electrical or Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or Physics; a related discipline with an academic concentration in Telecommunications is desirable.
- Knowledge of technologies, products and services for network virtualization with software control is required. Knowledge of one or more relevant technical subject areas, such as wide-area networking (IP VPNs), carrier Ethernet, optical networking, last-mile technologies and services, enterprise network operations, network security, managed services, wireless, satellite and cloud-based offerings, is also required.
- Demonstrated understanding of transmission theories and networking protocols is highly desirable. Proficiency in software development is useful.
- Relevant work experience in the areas of telecommunications employed by telecommunications service providers or equipment manufacturers is highly desirable. Hands-on experience in a research and development (R&D) setting is especially useful.
- Knowledge of telecommunications and networking standards and frameworks for network virtualization with software control, such as those from IEEE, MEF, ONUG and TMF, is highly desirable.
- Excellent communication, collaboration, and presentation skills. Proven results-oriented problem solving abilities. Facility with presentation graphics and/or spreadsheet tools highly desirable.
- Ability to work in a dynamic team-oriented environment, demonstrate teamwork and initiative, and function productively in the face of new assignments and the re-prioritization of existing assignments.
- Background in telecommunications applications at the government agency enterprise level and familiarity with relevant Federal technology issues, policies, regulations or practices are highly desirable. Experience with or knowledge of government acquisition/contracting practices, programs and regulations (FAR, DFAR, etc.) is useful.
Noblis and our wholly owned subsidiary, Noblis ESI, are solving difficult problems that help our government and our country. We bring the best of scientific thought, management, and engineering expertise with a reputation for independence and objectivity. We support a wide range of government and industry clients in the areas of national security, intelligence, transportation, healthcare, environmental sustainability, and enterprise engineering. Learn more at Noblis -About Us
Why work at a Noblis company?
Our employees find greater meaning in their work and balance the other things in life that matter to them. Our people are our greatest asset. They are exceptionally skilled, knowledgeable, team-oriented, and mission-driven individuals who want to do work that matters and benefits the public.
Noblis has won numerous workplace awards. Noblis maintains a drug-free workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Apply on company website