Join National Heritage Academies (NHA) as a Database Engineer. This position will report directly to the Manager of IT Data Services and will be responsible for designing and developing database solutions in SQL Server.
NHA is a charter school management company that operates 80+ schools in 9 states. We are committed to our mission of “challenging each child to achieve…” and we pride ourselves on our students' ability to achieve high results in later education based on the foundations gained in grades K-8 at NHA.
In this role you will work out of our corporate headquarters (Service Center) located in Grand Rapids, Michigan. The NHA Service Center is where all the behind-the-scenes magic happens. Our 400 brilliant team members are brag-worthy. With a diverse group of departments like admissions, talent acquisition, facilities, legal services, and many more working together to provide top level back-office support. The Service Center is a place of bright colors, smiling faces, and opportunity. We like to gather for events such as the fall crocktoberfest cook-off, the sparkling holiday party full of fun and unexplainable excitement, and our annual 5K Service Center fun run.
- Develop, maintain, and update SQL Server stored procedures, views, SSIS packages, and SSRS reports.
- Identify opportunities to make improvements in T-SQL code and implement them.
- Design, build, and implement databases to support new software development.
- Complete SSRS Report writing, which includes an understanding of the underlying data, data structure and business terminology.
- Optimize the reports and underlying stored procedures that take longer to run.
- Troubleshooting data issues, validating result sets, performing unit testing.
- Help write and optimize in-application SQL statements.
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders.
- 5+ years of experience in Microsoft SQL Server environment with primary focus on development.
- Very strong skills in T-SQL development, including query optimization, building and modifying stored procedures, functions, and creating tables and views.
- Advanced knowledge of T-SQL, including transactions, (begin..try, merge, common table expressions, ROW_NUMBER/OVER, bulk insert, filtering and covering indexes, computed columns, etc..)
- Experience in version control software, such as Microsoft TFS, Azure DevOps, etc…
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
- Strong experience in providing ownership, management, design, development and support to OLTP systems.
- Ability to navigate and understand large complex database structures for sourcing data.
- Experience in Agile development environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to express complex technical concepts in business terms and complex business concepts in technical terms.
- Excellent problem solving and root cause analysis skills.
- Flexible, team player, “get-it-done” personality.
- Ability to multi-task and context-switch effectively between different activities and teams.
- Microsoft certifications are a plus.
To learn more about our core values, please click here.
National Heritage Academies is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply on company website