At McKinstry, we're proud to be a collective group of innovators and problem-solvers, builders and engineers, mentors and students. We strive to create a safe and engaging work environment that empowers you to do the work you are passionate about.
We believe deeply that energy and facility services, engineering and construction are revolutionizing the built environment – and if you're driven by our mission to transform ideas into meaningful relationships and together, build a thriving planet, McKinstry may be the place for you. Serving our community together is one of the ways we at McKinstry put our shared purpose into action.
Total collaboration and a diverse, employee-centric work experience are what we can provide you. Integrated delivery and true consultative partnership is what you will help us provide for our clients. Our culture is what differentiates us and because of this, we seek exceptional talent that believes what we believe.
Here's where you come in:
We are currently seeking a Senior Energy Engineer - Solar & Energy Storage to join our team as a member of our growing Energy and Technical Services National Platform division.
You're great at:
- Demonstrates subject matter leadership in Solar and Energy Storage by staying on the forefront of the technology and working closely with others to deploy knowledge to other departments within the company such as project development, project management, sales and estimating, etc. Collaborates with, plans for, schedules, supervises, delegates, and provides feedback to members of the energy engineering team.
- Trains and mentors energy engineering staff.
- Coordinates equipment selections with the energy engineering team.
- Coordinates with Program Managers to develop the scope of work.
- Assists in planning and leading training sessions for design staff.
- Act as a steward of McKinstry culture; communicate and influence policies and procedures.
- Generate Solar and Energy storage conceptual designs that meet client needs.
- Determine potential performance enhancements and provide specific recommendations to eliminate system malfunction
- Provide detailed systems analysis of complex systems
- Perform energy calculations, existing building baselining/logging, and identify opportunities to deploy renewable energy
- Develop strategies, goals, and objectives specific to project execution
- Support other Energy Engineer's and Project Energy Engineer's in determining the right technical approach for evaluating complex renewable energy solutions
- Encourage and facilitate innovation amongst the broader team in identifying renewable energy solutions
- Work with the Program Manager and Project Director to establish budgets for the investment-grade audit phase
- Facilitate and structure Project Risk Reviews for Energy Calculations prior to presenting ROM or Final savings
- Work closely with the Performance Assurance Specialist in developing the Measurement and Verification Process and Protocols to be used for performance validation.
- Establish Key Performance Indicators, and Key factors to be used in the Measurement and Verification Phase.
- Develop new methods for improving energy calculation templates to increase efficiency and accuracy
- Retrofit projects that target the existing mechanical system problems and improve comfort, maintainability, reliability and system longevity
- Develop practical solutions based on sound engineering design principals
- Work with the Business Development and Program Management staff to establish tactical solutions and strategic sales approach for project proposals
- Collaborates with national Renewable Energy platform and maintains design best practices including; Design Standards, Standardized Details, and Standardized Materials processes.
- Prepare presentations to clients to convey technical information on findings, recommendations, and solutions
- Communicate with local utility representatives to assist in the facilitation of utility applications, interconnection, rebates, and incentives
- Provide sales support in meetings
- Facilitate Peer to Peer outreach for the relevant region
- Act as the lead on communicating technical standards and process improvement on a local and regional level
- Support the Energy Auditor, Energy Engineer, and Project Energy Engineer on technical decisions and processes
- Work with Project Director, Program Manager, and Business Development Staff on resource planning and allocation
- Participate in project ETC's and financial reviews
Perform other duties as assigned.
What we would like to see from you:
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite - Word, Excel, Outlook, and Visio required; working knowledge of SharePoint preferred.
- Including, but not limited to, Helioscope, PVSyst, Energy Toolbase, CAD, PVWatts, NREL System Advisor Model.
- Must be familiar with industry-standard calculation methods including, but not limited to, industry-standard modeling programs, shade calculations, soiling calculations, snow soiling calculations.
- Thorough understanding of ESPC Contracting
- Maintain a good understanding of pertinent building and energy codes including National Electric Code, International Fire Code, International Building Code.
- Maintain a good understanding of incentive programs and processes.
- 12+ years' experience with Professional Engineer license or 16+ years' experience without certification, at least eight (8) years must be Solar and/or Energy Storage Engineering experience
- 2-7 years of solar or electrical design experience preferred
- Working knowledge of estimating preliminary budgets for Solar and Energy Storage projects.
- NABCEP registration preferred.
- LEED AP registration a plus.
- Certified Energy Manger (CEM) certification a plus.
- Master's degree in Renewable Energy and/or Energy specialization a plus
The McKinstry group of companies are equal opportunity employers. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, race, color, creed, marital status, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to employment, advancement, assignment, and training.
McKinstry is committed to strengthening our diversity through recruiting and retaining minority and women professionals from all backgrounds. Our commitment is consistent with our recognition that it is the outstanding people within McKinstry who have always been the source of our strength. We recognize that promoting diversity is an integral component of our continuing quest for organizational excellence.
This commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity is made equally as a social responsibility and as an economic and business necessity.
Anyone with questions or concerns regarding Equal Employment Opportunity should contact their direct supervisor or the Human Resources Department without fear of retaliation of any kind.
Apply on company website