Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to play a major role in the development of a noise-resiliant quantum computing protocol for the simulation of nuclear dynamics. You will join an integrated team of experts in nuclear theory, quantum information science and quantum hardware, and will actively participate in the development of algorithms specifically designed to operate on the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory's quantum computing developer testbed. This position is in the Nuclear Data and Theory group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division. Essential Duties
- Conduct fundamental research in quantum simulations of atomic nuclei and nuclear dynamics.
- Contribute and actively participate in the development of formalism, algorithms, and analysis approaches needed to map the nuclear many-body problem onto the LLNL quantum processor, carry out the quantum simulation, and extract quantities of interest from the output of the quantum device.
- Design and carry out relevant numerical device-level simulations on LLNL supercomputers.
- Engage in collaborations between the Nuclear Data and Theory group, Quantum Coherent Device Physics groups, internal (LLNL), and external collaborators.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Report research results through publications in peer-reviewed journals and conference presentations and contribute to proposal submissions within the Nuclear Data and Theory group.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Qualifications
- Recent PhD in physics or related field.
- Experience in the simulation of quantum systems (e.g.: quantum many-body calculations, detailed simulations of experiments) and/or applications of quantum algorithms to simulations of microscopic systems.
- Experience developing computer software for physics simulations and/or analyses.
- Expertise in Python, C++, or equivalent computer programming languages.
- Ability to perform independent research and find innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills needed to effectively present and explain results of scientific research in presentations at seminars, meetings and journal publications.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment. Desired Qualifications
- Publication record in peer-reviewed literature with experience presenting research results to a large audience.
- Experience in statistical analysis techniques.
- Experience with parallel programming, such as GPUs, MPI and/or OpenMP.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply on company website