Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place and now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!The LivIT Program is responsible for the overall delivery and support of enterprise IT applications and infrastructure that support the myriad of vital missions at LLNL. LivIT contributes to the success of the Lab's missions by leading in the deployment of best-in-class IT solutions that provide value through innovation, agility, and usefulness.
We have an opening for a Network Engineer with expertise in enterprise network architecture, implementation, and operations. You will be responsible for the installation, configuration, and maintenance of network hardware and software, and the troubleshooting of complex network infrastructures. This position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services Division (EIS) within the Livermore IT Program (LivIT).
This position will be filled at either the 393.1 or 393.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected to the higher level.
- Apply networking knowledge and experience to provide troubleshooting and operational support for data center, campus, and wan networks.
- Perform complex network administration to configure, operate, and maintain switches, routers, firewalls, load balancers, and other commodity network equipment.
- Design and implement wan, campus, and data center networks utilizing modern networking technologies including SDWAN and overlay technologies such as eVPN, VXLan, Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI), etc.
- Collaborate with Cyber security team to implement comprehensive network security architectures, policies, and monitoring.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced and challenging environment, with multiple and competing priorities, while managing to maintain sound judgement and excellent customer service.
- Perform occasional work outside normal business hours in order to provide support for network operations and maintenance.
- Interact with vendors to evaluate network products and services.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 393.2 Level
- Design and deliver advanced, customized networks, in alignment with customer requirements and enterprise network strategies.
- Ability to work independently to configure and effectively utilize network management and monitoring tools.
- Diagnose, resolve, and document highly complex network problems.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline, or the equivalent combination of technical training and related experience.
- Extensive experience in network system design, configuration, implementation, documentation, and operations.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of and experience with network routing and VLANs.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) and/or Cisco Certified Network Professional Certifications (CCNP).
- Familiarity with common network DevOps technologies and frameworks (Ansible/Python/CICD, etc).
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of and experience in firewall configuration and maintenance.
- Proficient interpersonal and verbal and written communications skills, with the ability to work independently and interact with customers and team members.
In Addition at the 393.2 Level
- Significant experience developing advanced architecture solutions.
- Highly advanced troubleshooting skills and experience solving problems by analyzing protocol interactions collected in packet traces.
- Experience training and mentoring team members in network engineering and architecture.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply on company website