Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Joint Actinide Shock Physics Experimental Research (JASPER) Program Execution Leader supporting the Weapon Physics and Design (WPD) program within the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate. DTED provides support to WCI Programs supporting Shock Physics Experiments.
This position will be filled at either the SEL.4 or SEL.5 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Execute systems engineering processes to include requirements development, interface definitions, and verification activities associated with high energy density physics experiments.
- Lead the development of advanced conceptual designs for gas gun drives that meet technical requirements.
- Lead cross-cutting technical teams in experimental measurements of high energy density physics experiments and provide technical direction to multidisciplinary project teams aimed at dynamic properties of material measurements in a dynamic environment supporting the stockpile stewardship mission.
- Provide customers with engineering solutions for a wide range of engineering challenges associated with execution of ongoing programmatic activities including the generation of planning documents, reports, and presentations as required to support customer deliverables.
- Manage project interfaces and deployment interfacing with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory, including Nevada Nuclear Security site operated by Mission Support and Test Services, LLC.
- Develop and execute program management plans and activities (schedule development, cost estimates, project reporting) across multiple disciplines and activity centers including JASPER, LLNL Management, NNSS, and other experimental facilities.
- Set broad project vision and strategy and influence technical direction for self and others.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SEL.5 Level
- Develop, lead, and drive expert capability in highly complex engineering design and analysis of high energy density physics experiments.
- Set long-term goals for future needs in new experimental platforms and diagnostics.
- Champion and influence efforts for improvement of gas gun experimental capabilities at LLNL and other sites.
- Master's degree in Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Subject matter expert knowledge of systems engineering and experience in prototype development and testing, as well as hardware design and analysis of high energy density physics experimental systems.
- Ability to devise solutions for unique and complex problems, while managing flexibility in reprioritizing and changing programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Ability to negotiate cooperation and support from management and facilities at other sites and vendors.
- Significant experience managing, overseeing, and delivering multiple projects and large experimental teams on budget and on schedule.
- Ability to lead, manage, and mentor team members.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
- Ability to travel frequently to multiple locations.
In Addition at the SEL.5 Level
- Ability to plan the integration and implementation, generate and communicate a program vision to motivate the completion of milestones which meet program goals and are within budget constraints. Extensive experience managing multiple activities simultaneously including budget and schedule.
- Expert knowledge of highly complex engineering design and analysis and extensive experience in project planning and providing technical leadership. Subject matter expertise in gas gun operations/experiments.
- Extensive experience developing and implementing creative solutions to a diverse range of highly complex and unusual problems and leading corrective actions where necessary.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors, and strong record of team building and conflict resolution.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply on company website