Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Diagnostic Lead Engineer. You will provide engineering expertise and technical leadership for new and ongoing projects for the National Ignition Facility and Photon Sciences (NIF&PS) Directorate. You will develop innovative components and systems using advanced design and manufacturing techniques for scientific and defense applications. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SEL.3 or SEL.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide technical guidance, leadership, and supervision to 10+ team members with a focus on defining, developing, and deploying critical systems and components.
- Serve as a technical expert providing innovative solutions to complex problems and in-depth analysis of complex X-ray, Nuclear and/or Optical Diagnostics engineering.
- Set specific technical strategy and direction for self and others. Provide employee development, mentoring, and coaching.
- Direct technical activities as needed to specify, procure, evaluate and deploy unique materials, coatings and form factors.
- Maintain and ensure quality standards for deliverables, publications and presentations; leverage team members' skills to successfully complete complex projects, by ensuring excellence in execution of technical work in the program.
- Successfully utilize existing work, internal resources, and partnerships to develop innovative capabilities to increase the impact of LLNL and lead the development of project portfolios.
- Prepare and present written and verbal presentations of technical work.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SEL.4 Level
- Assess strategic technical needs for development of supporting research and investments in diagnostic technology infrastructure; lead technical initiatives in advancing state of the art X-ray, Optical or Nuclear diagnostic capabilities.
- Serve as subject matter expert on major projects and multi-disciplinary efforts to positively impact the team's long-term goals and objectives.
- Represent the Laboratory to stakeholders and serve on external technical committees and act as primary technical contact and subject matter expert on large programs/projects.
- Master's degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electrical, etc.), Systems Engineering or the equivalent combination of education and relevant prior experience.
- Advanced knowledge in complex system design and analysis and significant experience in project planning and complex technical leadership.
- Significant experience developing and implementing creative solutions to a diverse range of complex problems and leading corrective actions where necessary.
- Significant experience in developing advanced high-performance x-ray, nuclear and/or optical systems, precision systems and assembly.
- Significant experience leading large dynamic projects and multi-laboratory efforts that positively affected the organization's goals and objectives.
- Significant experience interacting, cooperating, and advising with all levels of technical staff, managers, and vendors.
- Leadership skills for leading and managing small, multi-disciplinary teams.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
In Addition at the SEL.4 Level
- Subject matter expert in one or more of the following areas: reflective optics systems, advanced manufacturing of systems, system integration, large system precision engineering and alignment.
- Possess expert level application and development of existing work, internal resources, and partnerships that resulted in successfully developing new project portfolios.
- Ability to lead the application and development of principles, theories, and concepts in an applicable discipline in a creative and innovative fashion.
- PhD in Engineering.
- Experience in writing technical specifications and statements of work.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply on company website