Unit Clerk, Various Units
TemporaryPart-Time Position; rotating shifts
Pay Band: Four (4) $22.255-$24.660
Location: Kingston General Hospital Site
Perform reception and clerical duties to support the operation of the patient care unit, including transcription of physician orders, coordination and timely communication of information and patient flow related to admission, discharge, transfer, diagnostic procedures and consultations as delegated by other members of the patient care team.
- Assists patients, visitors, and the health care team by providing requested information or directing them to the appropriate information source.
- Answers the telephone and nurse call system, relaying messages promptly and efficiently.
- Refers inquiries about patient's condition to the appropriate health care professional.
- Communicates effectively, maintains ethical standards, and maintains confidentiality.
- Transcribes Physician's Orders, including orders for treatments and/or medications. Implements orders for consultation requests, and for laboratory and diagnostic examinations.
- Coordinates the transportation of patients, specimens, and materials necessary for patient care.
- Prepares and/or completes necessary documentation for admission, transfer, discharge, or death of a patient.
- Assembles new charts, replenishes forms on patients' charts as required, checks current and closed charts for completeness, and attaches laboratory and test reports to patients' charts.
- Prepares reports and requisitions, orders supplies as required and follows-up on delays.
- Office Administration – Medical Diploma (2-year) or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Good organizational skills with ability to set priorities appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to follow instructions accurately, work under pressure and cope with frequent interruptions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, courteously, and tactfully with all types of people.
- Demonstrated effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated computer literacy.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology.
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check required.
The applicant must meet the physical demands of this position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.
Please note: if you are a current KHSC-KGH site employee and wish to apply to this position, please contact a member of the Recruitment Team to obtain the link to apply.
Apply on company website