Title: Switchboard Operator
Hours of work: Temporary Part-time Position;Rotating 8 Hour Shifts
Pay Band: Band C: $22.245 - $24.649
Location: Kingston General Hospital Site
The Switchboard Operator is responsible for the operation of the computerized switchboard for the provision of information and locating services to Hospital staff, patients and the public.
Within this role the employee is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the KHSC strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Provide telephone service to internal and external users by promptly answering all incoming calls, providing related information and transferring calls as requested. Including assisting callers making vague inquiries and directing them to the appropriate extension. Following on-call procedures for medical, administrative and technical staff.
- Respond to emergency alarms and codes, carrying out procedures according to directives and ensure activities detailing incidents are documented as per requirements.
- Place long distance calls for patients and personnel. Provide dialing instructions to staff, patients and public.
- Update online on call application as required and provide support to administrative assistants on the entry and update of data into the electronic system.
- Create and update non electronic on call lists
- Daily check of each trunk to ensure users' access, report irregularities to proper authorities. Send defective pagers for repair. Report telephone repairs. Testing of group pagers.
- Assignment and testing of pager units.
- Providing temporary pager and vocera units on an urgent basis
- Grade 12 education or equivalent.
- 2 years' experience on computerized switchboard console in a large institution at least 1 of which must have been in a Healthcare setting.
- Keyboarding 35 wpm.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Windows Applications including Word (Level 1), Excel (Level 1) and outlook. (All to be tested).
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively in a courteous, tactful and professional manner with difficult situations/people.
- Ability to listen, interpret and respond in an immediate fashion to emergencies using proper procedures.
- Good organizational and problem solving skills required, including an ability to prioritize a varied and busy workload.
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
- Satisfactory criminal record check required.
The applicant must meet the physical demands of this position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.
Apply on company website