Registered Nurse First Assistant, Temporary Full-Time, Operating Room
Hours of Work: Temporary Full-Time Position (Approximately 12 months); Rotating Shifts
Wage Range: $39.27-$56.38
Location: Kingston General Hospital Site
The Operating Room Registered Nurse First Assistant (RNFA) as a multidisciplinary team member is an experienced peri-operative nurse who functions at an advanced level of perioperative practice and has acquired specific knowledge, skills and judgment specific to clinical practice. In collaboration with, and under the direction of the surgeon, the RNFA provides assistance to the surgeon and team during the pre-operative, intra-operative and post-operative phase. The expanded practice Perioperative Registered nurse is accountable and responsible for their actions within accepted legal, professional and ethical standards established by their regulatory body. Within this role the Registered Nurse is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the Kingston General Hospital strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
- Functions under the direction and supervision of the surgeon and collaborates with the other team members to coordinate and implement a plan of care.
- Maintains dignity and advocates for the patient.
- Applies knowledge of surgical anatomy and physiology.
- Recognizes safety hazards for patient and surgical team and initiates appropriate action.
- Administers medications as directed by the surgeon and/or anaesthesiologist.
- Does not concurrently function as a scrub nurse but has the capacity to function in the circulating role when not performing the role of a RNFA.
- Handles tissue, (harvesting grafts and tissue closure).
- Skilled and appropriate use of instrumentation.
- Assists with cannulation and decannulation.
- Insertion of femoral arterial pressure line as instructed by surgeon.
- Positioning, draping, suturing, insertion of drains, providing hemostasis.
NOTE: The above duties are representative but are not to be construed as all inclusive. Please see People Services on Watkins 4 for the full Job Description.
- Current certificate of competence from the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Baccalaureate degree in Nursing required.
- Completion of a recognized RNFA program.
- Certification in Perioperative Nursing – CPN (C) or, CNOR equivalent required.
- 5 years Perioperative nursing experience required for entry into recognized RNFA program.
- Knowledge of surgical anatomy, physiology and operative technique relative to cardiovascular surgical procedures is required
- Demonstrated ability to function independently as well as a team member
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing education, while maintaining and advancing clinical competency in Perioperative nursing and RNFA practices
- BCLS certificate recommended; ACLS certificate preferred
- Demonstrated communication skills, and strong organization skills
- Positive work and attendance record required
- Participate in continuing education/conference related Perioperative nursing.
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work effectively, efficiently and accurately in a fast paced environment
- Effective organizational and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of surgical anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology and operative technique related to the respective operative procedure
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check required.
The physical demand will vary dependent on the specific unit or service. The incumbent will be required to meet the physical demands described for that unit of services.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.
Apply on company website