Applications will be accepted until 11:59 pm on 2020 July 1
Title: DI Secretary
Department: Imaging Services Administration
Position Number: 50064961
Hours of Work: TemporaryPart-Time Position; Rotating Shifts
Pay Band: BAND C- $22.245-$24.649
Location: Hotel Dieu Hospital Site
In accordance with Article 9.05, where the previous incumbent returns to this position within the thirty (30) day trial period this position shall be deemed not vacant and the posting will be cancelled. Should the vacancy be cancelled, applicants to this posting shall be notified.
The DI Secretary – Imaging, will be a member of the Imaging Services Team under the direction of the clerical coordinator. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the general and specialized clerical office functions; Patient reception and registration, imaging request processing and booking, and management of patient data.
Within this role the employee is accountable for contributing to the delivery of the Kingston Health Sciences Centre strategy. As an employee, one must demonstrate an awareness of and be responsible for actively promoting and supporting patient and family centered engagement and care in all we do.
- Receives and registers patients, updating HIS information, verifying financial information, creating visits, ordering procedures, scanning requisitions and effectively communicating the arrival of patients to appropriate Imaging staff.
- Receives, reviews and processes requisitions and patient information to ensure completeness according to departmental protocols following up as needed and scanning to appropriate file. Organizes all patient requisitions, including distribution to appropriate staff for review and coding.
- Schedules Imaging procedures. Maintaining files of pending and booked requisitions and accurate information regarding wait times and appointment details. Processes appointment notifications for patients and referring physicians.
- Adjusts bookings by rescheduling, cancelling or adding on appointments daily as advised by senior staff.
- Instructs patients and referrers regarding preparation required for booked exams, e.g. notification if blood work, IV, sedation, etc. are required.
- Coordinate and verify patient appointments with other Departments, Radiologists, technologists and nurses, canceling and rebooking as required.
- Receives and places calls as required, responds to inquires or refers the caller to appropriate resources and distributes messages accurately and in a timely manner. Manage communications related to bookings. Contacts referring centres regarding previous imaging, surgical or diagnostic reports and follows up as needed.
- Responds to requests in person, in writing and via the telephone to manage the distribution of digital images to patients and requesting healthcare providers. Aids in the distribution of Diagnostic Imaging reports to members of the patient's healthcare.
- Performs various other processing and filing duties as assigned and may be required to work in all clerical areas in Imaging Services at KHSC
- Maintains proficiency in the use of computer systems (including but not limited to HIS, PACS, E-Referral systems), scanners, fax/copy/print machines, photocopiers, and intercom system. Keeping all logins up to date (e.g., ICMS, PCS, PACS Cube, etc.)
- Prioritizes assignments daily, weekly and monthly to attain maximum effectiveness and efficiency. Ability to efficiently switch tasks as needed and assigned throughout the day and with short-notice
- Ensures accuracy of data. Performs quick and accurate keyboard data entry into Hospital Information System (HIS) related to but not limited to patient registration and scheduling.
- Demonstrates a pleasant and helpful attitude with patients and their families and staff by communicating effectively, courteously and professionally.
- Continuously striving to improve patient safety through being involved and engaged in quality improvement initiatives
- Office Administration diploma or equivalent education and experience
- Medical Terminology Certificate (to be tested)
- Equivalent to 6 months related experience in a medical office setting within 2 years
- Demonstrated knowledge and use of office technology (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite inclusive of Microsoft Outlook (to be tested), PCS, PACS Cube, etc.)
- Minimum typing speed 40 wpm (90% accuracy)(to be tested)
- Ability to communicate effectively, courteously and professionally with patients, families, other employees and physicians
- Ability to follow written or verbal instructions accurately
- Ability to cope with frequent interruptions and work quickly and accurately under pressure in a multi-tasking environment
- Ability to prioritize assignments daily, weekly and monthly to attain maximum effectiveness and efficiency.
- Proven good attendance record
- Proven ability to attend work regularly.
- Satisfactory criminal reference check required.
The applicant must be able to meet the physical demands of this position.
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Kingston Health Sciences Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices.
If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify the Recruitment Team.
Apply on company website