Laboratory Technician (entry-level)
What are we looking for?
Intertek has an immediate opportunity for an entry-level Laboratory Technician position in our Textile testing laboratory based in Arlington Heights, IL.
The Laboratory Technician position plays a key part of the Textiles testing team by preparing samples, supporting senior members in test set-up and procedures, documenting test results for evaluation, and general department housekeeping. This is an entry-level position for a candidate looking to begin a career as a Laboratory Technician.
Schedule details: Monday – Friday, office hours
How you'll make an impact at Intertek:
- Prepare test specimens
- Set up testing apparatus and operate them
- Perform testing as per standard methods or procedures; Record data and perform routine calculations
- Maintain equipment and keep work area organized and clean
- Coordinate work with colleagues in other departments to transfer samples and coordinate any testing activity
- Demonstrate tests and procedures during audits and client visits
- Follow all laboratory quality requirements in all aspects
- Testing will be performed on textile sample items, and may involve:
- Measurement of samples before and after laundering
- Evaluating the physical appearance of samples before and after laundering
- Preparing and/or evaluating the colorfastness properties of samples
- Testing the flammability resistance of samples
- Testing the sample for physical properties such as tensile strength, tearing strength, pilling resistance, abrasion resistance, seam strength, recovery after stretching and more
- Perform other work as assigned to meet business needs of the laboratory
What it takes to be successful in this role:
- High School Diploma/GED required; Associates Degree in related science field is preferred
- Ability to discriminate hues (color) of the dyed and tested materials (required)
- *All candidates appearing for interviews will be evaluated for color deficiency and Color Discrimination test (The Farnsworth – Munsell 100 Hue Test and Ishihara Color deficiency test)
- Willingness to learn, adapt and work in a fast-paced, customer-focused work environment
- Organization and effective time management skills
- Ability to read, interpret and understand standard test methods, quality policy manuals, safety rules, and procedure manuals
- Must have basic math skills (basic algebra formulas)
- Ability to utilize basic shop equipment and various hand tools
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds and to perform 80% of work in a standing position
- Ability to work in environments with high humidity (maximum 70% humidity) for majority of your shifts - and/or environment that may require respirators
- Flexibility with work schedule, including working different shifts and/or overtime as business needs dictate
- Basic MS Office skills (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
Why work at Intertek?
Intertek is a world leader in the $250 billion Quality Assurance market, with a proven, high-quality business model and a global network of customer-focused operations and highly engaged subject matter experts. At Intertek, we exercise our spirit of innovation, the passion of our people and our unmatched customer commitment to realize our purpose of making the world an ever better, safer, and more sustainable place for all. Learn more about Our History and What We Do.
Intertek is committed to a safe work environment for our employees and clients. Learn more about our COVID-19 Policy.
What we have to offer:
When Working with Intertek, you can expect salary and benefit package competitively placed within the local market, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, 401(k) with company match, tuition reimbursement and more.
Intertek is a drug-free workplace. As a condition of employment, all hires are required to pass a pre-employment drug test.
Intertek believes that Our People are our strongest tool for success. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against applicants due to veteran status or on the basis of disability. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, or who need assistance applying, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-877-694-8543 (option #5) to speak with a member of the HR Department.
Apply on company website