Be a part of a world-class academic healthcare system, Ingalls Memorial Hospital, as a Laboratory Supervisor in the Core Lab.
In this role as a Lab Supervisor, you will under the supervision of the Director of Laboratory and Cardiac Services, train, supervise and assume accountability for laboratory staff in all functions in his/her area of oversight. This lab provides the most comprehensive lab services available anywhere in the Chicago area. Through numerous lab specialties and processes, we offer an expansive array of tests performed by experienced laboratory professionals to provide insights on your health. Once testing is complete, results will be analyzed by one of our board-certified pathologists, and results will be sent in a timely manner to the doctor to provide the best quality care for our patients.
The Lab Supervisor provides input for the departmental budget as requested, teaches theoretical basis of procedures to staff, collaborates with pathologists on a regular basis to establish critical value limits, workload analysis, method changes, accreditation requirements, method validation, and other tasks to efficiently and accurately perform test analysis. The Lab Supervisor ssumes responsibility of performance appraisals in those sections of responsibility, troubleshoots problems that may interfere with the operations of the laboratory computer systems, and interfaces with all hospital departments and laboratory clients to provide timely, accurate, and compliant laboratory test results.
Essential Job Functions
- Observes and adheres to all corporate compliance requirements and communicates issues as they arise to the appropriate parties as identified in the Corporate Compliance Plan and Departmental Compliance Plan.
- Supports Laboratory Business Development through the departmental mission and follows all policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates ability to identify and resolve interpersonal conflicts constructively when dealing with members of the department.
- Performs standard, specialized automated and non-automated laboratory techniques.
- Operates all laboratory instruments, equipment, or peripheral devices within their section and insures proper functioning of equipment for patient registration, order entry, and/or testing.
- Assists with new test creation by giving all pertinent specifications to the computer operations and accounting.
- Determines with alternative methods of instrumentation, equipment, or processes must be utilized to deliver timely, accurate results.
- Interacts with hospital staff and members of the Ingalls Management Council to solve problems, answers questions and interpret laboratory results.
- Communicates with physicians concerning patient results, turnaround time, test limitations, and suggest follow-up test strategies where appropriate.
- Initiates/maintains good working relationships with hospital/reference account personnel.
- Licensure - MT (ASCP) or equivalent
- Working knowledge of medical laboratory technical procedures, concepts, and applications normally attained through successful completion of a bachelor's degree with specific training in medical technology and successful challenge of an accredited proficiency examination.
- B.S. or B.A. in medical technology or a related laboratory science with successful challenge of an accredited proficiency examination and/or certification through ASCP, NAACLS, HEW or equivalent agency.
- 5 (five) years related experience in a clinical laboratory workplace and/or working knowledge of scientific principles attained through a baccalaureate degree and/or laboratory experience as prescribed by CLIA-88.
- Must demonstrate all competencies within identified laboratory department.
- Computer experience in LIS, PC, HIS, Microsoft office, etc.
- 5 (five) years of experience within a clinical laboratory workplace is required to have occurred with no more than a 2 year gap
- Effective interpersonal skills in dealing with patient, families and co-workers
- Ability to function effectively in an extended team environment
- Ability to resolve conflict effectively
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-dimensional, time critical department
- Ability to give and receive feedback
- Ability to deal with all age-specific related issues in workplace
- Job Type/FTE: Full Time (1.00)
- Shift: Days (8-hr)
- Unit/Department: Core Lab
- CBA Code: Non union
Apply on company website