You can make a salary. Or you can make a difference. Or you can work as an Operations Work Team Leader at Herman Miller and make both.
About this Opportunity
Our Operations Teams are responsible for all aspects of manufacturing high quality products in a timely manner to delight our customers. Operations team members play an important role in Herman Miller's success and prepare us to help people do great things. All of our team members work in clean, bright environments that make use of Lean manufacturing principles. These teams share a passion for quality and hold safety as a number one priority.
As an Operations Work Team Leader (WTL), you'll lead and manage an assigned department to achieve operational objectives in areas such as safety, product quality, reliability, cost, continuous improvement, and employee morale. These objectives will align with and promote the achievement of the operations and overall business strategy. You will achieve results through successful leadership and team development, as well as effective planning, organization, implementation, and execution.
What You'll Do
You'll have opportunities to speak up, solve problems, lead others, and be an owner every day as you work in the following areas...
- 100% Value: You will be responsible for continuously improving the processes of operations by eliminating the seven forms of waste and creating processes that add 100% value to the customer.
- Continuous Improvement: You'll facilitate change by using Kaizen as a tool to improve the organization's capability by utilizing people's skills to solve problems proactively and constantly move toward the ideal situation or true north. You'll be responsible for engaging in Kaizen activities everyday to proactively go after problems with a shop floor focus.
- Professional Challenge/Participation: You will motivate and involve employees in improving processes through creativity, problem-solving, and learning. This will be accomplished through setting expectations, teaching, encouraging, coaching, and holding direct labor employees accountable to utilize standardized work to improve operations, as well as through participating in the implementation of improvements through day-by-day Kaizen. You will solicit employees' ideas for improvement and create a work environment where employees are encouraged to take risks and share their ideas for improvement.
- Pull System: You'll create an operation that produces product only to customer demand (Takt time) using one-piece-flow.
- Quality: You will ensure the team's performance and accountability to zero defects. Your responsibilities will include identifying and solving department problems that cause poor quality. You will partner with the Customer Service and Corporate Quality Teams to ensure the identification of quality issues and their root causes, as well as design and implement solutions. You will also manage and monitor compliance to the Herman Miller quality plan and ISO 9000 Certification.
- Recognition/Feedback: You'll be responsible for showing appreciation of those individuals and teams that demonstrate outstanding performance which is directly aligned with the company's Blueprint for Corporate Community. You'll also be responsible for providing timely feedback, including formal performance reviews, performance coaching, and discipline.
- Reliability: You will ensure 100 percent on-time delivery of quality products to the customer.
- Safety: You'll ensure a safe working environment for all employees and visitors. You will be responsible for the team's safety program, implementation, and commitment to 5S principles. You will also ensure all safety training and development is completed for all employees, safety policies and procedures are administered, and compliance with all state and federal legislation is maintained. You will manage and monitor the achievement of corporate and plant environmental goals.
- Shop Floor Focus: You'll be responsible for spending 80 percent of your time directly on the shop floor where key value added activities take place so you can understand the current status of the operation and gain direct input from employees in order to make improvements.
- Staffing/Development: You will be responsible for employee selection (determining staffing levels and skills required) and training. You'll also be responsible for helping employees develop new skills that will allow them to increase their contribution to the business and improve the processes of the operation.
- You will also perform additional responsibilities as required to achieve business objectives.
Sound Like You?
You might be just who we're looking for if you have...
- A minimum of four years of successful supervisory experience in an operations environment, or at least four years of demonstrated success in a leadership role that has included directing the work of others with proven results.
- The ability to express ideas effectively (verbally and nonverbally) with well-developed interpersonal and communication skills and a demonstrated professionalism.
- An adeptness at resolving conflict in a team environment.
- A demonstrated ability to identify and understand issues and make appropriate decisions.
- A proficiency in ISO quality systems fundamentals and Lean manufacturing principles.
- The ability to effectively use the office automation, communication, software, and tools used in the Herman Miller office environment.
- The ability to perform all essential job functions with or without accommodations.
Critical competencies for this position include: integrity and trust, customer orientation, job knowledge, decisiveness, relationship building, effective communication, systemic thinking, future focused, managing and developing talent, flexibility, innovation, and business knowledge.
Who We Are
At Herman Miller, our unique culture represents the collective attitudes, ideas, and experiences of the people who work here. We focus on protecting the environment, impacting our communities, exceeding the expectations of our customers through high quality products, and championing diversity in all areas of the business, and together we are on a journey toward a better world. We support the well-being of our employees in and outside of work by providing a variety of opportunities including award-winning work-life integration resources, development programs, complex health and wellness offerings, and much more.
Herman Miller is a globally recognized provider of furnishings and related technologies and services. Headquartered in West Michigan, we have relied on innovative design for over 100 years to solve problems for people wherever they work, live, learn, and heal.
Herman Miler is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer, including veterans and people with disabilities.
Apply on company website