Position Summary: Software Engineer, Data Platform
The purpose of the Software Engineer, Data Platform position is to implement, extend, and maintain the organization's build/release and installation/patch infrastructure and also shape Enterprise products for ease-of-installation and ease-of-use. This is a hands-on position and will be responsible for managing and executing release/configuration activities in support of multiple enterprise IT systems.
Responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to the following:
- Implement data ingestion pipeline both real-time and batch using best practices in data modeling, ETL/ELT processes
- Participate in technical decisions and collaborate with talented peers.
- Review code, implementations and give meaningful feedback that helps others build better solutions.
- Write documentation on design, architecture, and solutions.
- Provide mentorship and guidance for peers and more junior engineers.
- Establish strong working relationships at all organizational levels and across functional teams.
- Take responsibility and ownership of project timelines and deliverables.
- Capable of working in a fast-paced team responsible for maintaining the data and reporting pipeline.
- Build simple to complex pipelines & dataflows.
- Provides support for investigating and troubleshooting production issues.
- Work to maintain the system and data security at a high standard, ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the application are not compromised.
- Translates stakeholder's requirements into common language that can be adopted for the use with Behavior Driven Development (BDD) or Test-Driven Development (TDD).
- Build robust, scalable, operable solutions that work well within the overall data architecture.
- Participates in the Communities of Practice.
- Works continually on improving the performance of source code using industry-standard methodologies.
- Helps drive technology direction and choices of technologies by making recommendations based on experience and research.
- Additional duties as assigned
About Guitar Center
The Guitar Center Company embodies the world of creativity and music by encouraging our teammates to find their own individual sound. Our mission is to develop and nurture lifelong musicians and make a difference in the world by enabling musicians and non-musicians alike to experience the joy that comes from creating music. We believe in putting our customers first, engaging with respect and integrity and fulfilling our mission with passion.
The Guitar Center Company operates through several business divisions. Guitar Center is the world's largest retailer of guitars, amplifiers, drums, keyboards, recording, live sound, DJ, and lighting equipment, with more than 290 stores across the United States. 2014 marked the milestone 50th anniversary of the Guitar Center Company as the organization continues to help people make music from coast to coast.
E-Commerce brands Guitar Center, Musician's Friend and WWBW offer online sales of a broad selection of music products. The Music & Arts division operates more than 220 stores specializing in band & orchestral instruments for sale and rental, serving teachers, band directors, college professors, and students since 1952. AVDG and GCPro headline the enterprise audio-visual integration business, delivering a best-in-class commercial and residential customer experience.
To join our band, you'll need the following experience:
- 7 or more years of experience working directly with data in a data engineering role.
- Hands on experience working in a public cloud environment and on-prem infrastructure.
- Strong experience in distributed architectures such as Microservices, SOA, RESTful APIs and data integration architectures.
- Promotes the establishment of group standards and processes.
- Has Designed and implemented data models for applications, operations, or analytics.
- Strong experience working with metadata repositories, data modeling and business analytics tools.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in online transactional (OLTP) processing and analytical processing (OLAP) databases, data lakes, and schemas.
- Experience with AWS Cloud Data Lake Technologies and operational experience of Kinesis/Kafka, S3, Glue and Athena.
- Experience with any of the message / file formats: Parquet, Avro, ORC
- Design and development experience on a Streaming Service, EMS, MQ, Java, XSD, File Adapter, and ESB based applications.
- Experience with a wide variety of modern data processing technologies, including
- Big Data Stack (Spark, spectrum, Flume, Kafka, Kinesis etc.)
- Data streaming (Kafka, SQS/SNS queuing, etc)
- Columnar databases (Redshift, Snowflake, Firebolt, etc)
- Commonly used AWS services (S3, Lambda, Redshift, Glue, EC2, etc)
- Expertise in Python, pySpark or similar programming languages
- BI tools (Tableau, Domo, MicroStrategy)
- Understanding of object-oriented programming, Continuous Integration
Why join us?
With a career at Guitar Center, you become part of the world's largest multichannel musical instrument retailer. Whether at our Stores, Contact Centers, Distribution Centers, or Support Center, Guitar Center employees have a common goal: to help people find their sound and fill the world with more music.
Love this gig and want to apply?
Send your resume and cover letter today along with salary expectations!
Guitar Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides fair and equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status prohibited under Federal, State, or local laws. All employment decisions are based on valid job‐related requirements.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation to express interest in a specific opening. You can request a reasonable accommodation by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply on company website