An important link in the Engineering team, the Project Engineer manages capital improvement projects involving chocolate manufacturing process systems, assumes additional project engineering responsibilities in processing and packaging applications and facilities work to support the Engineering Team. This position develops and maintains project scope, budget, timeline and success criteria to meet given objectives. The Project Engineer serves as an expert resource to production and maintenance on new equipment, system installations and acts as a liaison to Production, Marketing, and R&D.
This position, by ensuring compliance with company policies and procedures, is responsible for recommending, developing, implementing and managing safety, quality and food safety on all product lines.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and complete them on time with minimal supervision.
- Ability to prioritize tasks or assigned projects with minimal supervision. Any unresolved issues should be brought up to engineering management team attention in a timely manner with proposed viable options / solutions.
- Ability to take on last minute assignments and complete them in a timely and satisfactory manner.
- Identify areas for process improvement in production and business processes
- Provide support to team in absence of Engineering Manager.
- Design, plan and organize new installations in close collaboration with Production, QA and Maintenance departments.
- Manage capital installation work successfully delivering scope, on time and in budget while meeting Ghirardelli's safety and GMP requirements.
- Ensure efficient hand over of new installations to Production and Maintenance Departments through proper training and documentation of new equipment and/or packaging/process systems.
- Guide engineering work by contractors or suppliers and ensure commissioned performance of installations. Achieve a pre-determined set of supplier acceptance and production hand-off criteria for new equipment.
- Carry out independent concept investigations for solutions to assigned projects.
- Work with suppliers to order, specify, test and approve new equipment
- Coordinate mechanical and electrical installation requirements with both outside contractors and internal resources where applicable.
- Work with internal resources, equipment suppliers, other outside resources to develop new equipment training procedures.
Support the Production and Maintenance departments
- Provide troubleshooting help for supervisors and leads
- Serve as a resource for Maintenance when expert and in-depth information is required for troubleshooting and preventative work on new equipment.
- Conduct operational training on new equipment
Support Marketing, R&D and Procurement Departments
- Provide timely support to meet requirements in launching new or improved packaging items.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent electrical and mechanical hands-on skills.
- Ability to start, address and prioritize project issues independently and juggle multiple projects with minimal supervision.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization.
- Strong and effective written communication skills.
- Knowledge and some proficiency in FMEA, statistical process control, defect elimination, root cause analysis, activity based costing, and quality assurance systems are a plus.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook), MS Project. Auto CAD a plus.
- Familiar with standard concepts, best practices in field, and procedures in project management.
- Knowledge and some proficiency in PLC language (Allen Bradley and Siemens) a plus.
- Ability to coordinate projects at various levels in the organization.
- Familiarity with chocolate making processes a plus.
- Experience in packaging equipment a plus.
- Ability to start and complete tasks or initiatives independently with minimal supervision.
Education and Work Experience:
- Masters Degree in Chemical, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering or equivalent combination of education and or experience.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in project engineering & project management with at least 3 years in a manufacturing environment. Food manufacturing experience a plus.
- Direct manufacturing line responsibility experience a plus.
Apply on company website