Frontier Communications is seeking a Senior IT Systems Engineer with very strong SQL and Database skills. This individual successfully manages the day-to-day operations and support of Frontier TV portfolio for customers in the North America market - Video Server Operations – Mediaroom & FiOS. The candidate will deliver technical solutions and assist with integration, validation, test and evaluation of video products in the labs and production environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Very Strong SQL and Database (DBA) Skills. Candidate should be able to craft extremely efficient SQL queries.
- Provides technical support and day to day operational functions for Ericsson Mediaroom
- Provides technical support for and day to day operational functions Verizon FIOS IPTV solutions
- Develop detailed test plans for integration and test of video CPE devices and subsystems
- Perform extensive testing on video products to qualify and validate system compatibility
- Work closely with Network Engineers and other technical staff to identify and resolve issues or problems that impact the environment
- Consult with the engineering, deployment and delivery organizations on implementation, maintenance issues, and recommends technical solutions
- This position requires 24/7 on-call support in a Tier 2/3 role. This position requires on call support and off-hours maintenance activities (weekends and/or weeknights) in a shared rotation.
- Respond to and resolve warnings/alerts from database monitoring systems.
- Support database security strategies for user access level.
- Database Performance Tuning
- Configuring and Maintaining High Availability Features (Failover Clustering, Always-ON, Database Mirroring, Log Shipping, Replication).
- Performing Disaster recovery options
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- Strong Experience working in MS SQL Server.
- 4+ years developing enterprise-class solutions
- Basic knowledge of networking components and services such as TCP/IP, UDP/IP, IGMP, HTTP protocols, DHCP, DNS and LAN/WAN technologies
- Ability to self-motivate and work independently
- Ability to exercise judgment within broadly defined practices in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions
- Solid understanding of communication networking components (i.e.: switches, hubs, LAN topology, Ethernet etc…)
- Advance knowledge of SQL server database
- Ability to write scripts and automate
- Experience with SCOM and SCCM
- Experience with Windows and Linux servers, IIS, Database, Clustering, Load balancing and Certificate services
- Ability to analyze traces and extended logs
- Strong experience with Web technologies and protocols (HTTP, XML, SSL, HTML, etc.)
- Ability to isolate problems and troubleshoot issues down to the hardware level
- Strong decision-making & analytical skills
- Strong oral & written communication skills
- Solid understanding of virtualization technologies in the server, network, and storage arenas
- Collaborate with developers, project managers and business analysts in conceptualizing and developing Metrics and reports.
- Perform changes via an established change management process
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment, and to lead and influence cross-organizationally with and without direct authority
- Evaluate, plan, manage, track, and provide status on system maintenance, enhancement, and support activities at a task level
- Create and maintain database objects including: tables, indexes, stored procedures, triggers, SQL scripts, views, etc
- Act as an intermediary between Operations team, development team, and architecture team.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Skilled in database design, SQL, query performance analysis, and query optimization
- Demonstrated knowledge of both IPTV and RF delivery technologies
- Understanding of Virtualization technology and VMWare
- 2-5 years of experience with Microsoft Office Professional Suite and Visio
- Working knowledge of multicast & unicast transport
- Familiarity with Wireshark or other network data capture tools
- Experience working with and tuning MySQL, Oracle, Mongo, Cassandra and Big Data (ELK) databases.
The position requires occasional extended work in and around a typical data center, telecommunications facility, and/or Central Office. These environments may include loud machinery/fan noise, chilled temperatures and wind, and lowered humidity. These environments require working with and around high-amperage AC and DC power
- Travel up to 20%
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- S. in Engineering or equivalent is desirable or a minimum of 5 years experience in a video integration and test-related position.
- CCNA, CCNP, CCIE - Plus
- MCSE, MCSA, MCITP - Plus
Frontier Communications is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Apply on company website