First Student is a leader in transportation of children K-12. As the largest provider of student transportation in North America, First Student is more than twice the size of the next largest competitor. Industry-leading safety programs, strong customer relationships and service record are the key differentiators.
At First Student, the Area Safety Manager (ASM) supports the safety of designated locations for all operational, facility and shop activities within the geographic area. The ASM works directly with the Area General Manager and must be able to lead behavioral and organizational change by influencing and change management. The ASM drives continuous improvement by reviewing data and deploying strategies to mitigate risks. The ASM ensures that division safety initiatives and processes and embedded into the area operations and monitors adherence to strategic and program initiatives. Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and company policy.
This position will be responsible a territory that covers all of Nassau County and Western Suffolk County.
Area Safety Manager Responsibilities:
- Works with the RSD, LSM, LM and the Maintenance Manager, to ensure safety provisions are developed and deployed in accordance to budget and guidance.
- Identifies underperforming locations to established targets, perform analysis and work with location team to develop, recommend, and implement continuous improvement processes.
- Conduct comprehensive incident investigations for all serious events. Assists to develop actions and ensures lessons learned are communicated and implemented.
- Share best practices and innovative approaches for problem solving at locations managed by the position.
- Provide support to RSD and Risk Management on claims management and in litigation. Complete Root Cause Analysis with operations and maintenance as required.
- Work closely with the workers' compensation third-party administrator to proactively manage claims.
- Has direct responsibility to ensure proper driving trainer staffing levels. Work closely with operations and HR to identify trainer needs and effectively administer driver onboarding.
- Assist locations to determine and implement proper remedial actions for safety events and review disciplinary actions with HR and Operations.
- Multiple location oversight to guide locations on compliance with First Student policies and SOPs, as well as applicable laws and regulations, provide visibility of location compliance scores to regional and senior team.
- Prepare monthly reports and safety performance analysis for locations. Identify trends and corrective actions and communicate to AGM and management team.
- Assess location safety performance by utilizing Daily Dispatch, Driver Mobile Manager, and other applicable tools.
- In partnership with LM, will participate in the recruiting process for selection and on-boarding of new LSM's.
- Provide safety training for new LMs and LSMs; develop LSM competencies and skills and support Regional train the trainer workshops.
- Ensure operational efficiencies at a location level by utilizing Focus, Zonar, and the Safety Care database
- Perform location Safety Wellness Checks at least annually, at high risk locations this may require more frequent inspections and safety reviews.
- Assists HR/LM with driver recruitment, retention, and training activities
- Supplements the site safety review process by conducting safety audits. Additionally, the ASM works with the locations and RVPs/AGMs to properly close Site Safety Review actions.
- ASM manages the BeSafe process, including Safety Leadership course delivery, identifying and onboarding BeSafe Coaches and monitor debrief quality.
- Works with RVP, AGM and LM regarding the communication and execution of divisional wide activities and actions
- Provides technical oversight to the LSM, as needed, while the requests from LM's will be prioritized and in partnership with the ASM to support the Operations and Safety function
- Verification of location compliance with PDDP, EDTP, Non- Conforming Vehicles standards and conduct quality assurance by auditing elements of training programs being conducted at a location level. Ensures that all Training Standards are being carried per Company guidelines.
- Support the execution of kickoff/safety meetings by working closely with location staff.
- Provides the appropriate level of startup support.
- Other responsibilities as requested or required.
Area Safety Manager Experience and Skills Required:
- 2 years of College preferred or equivalent education/experience
- OSHA 10-hr, safety/transportation certifications, etc..
- 7 Years of Safety/Transportation Experience
- 5 Years experience in fleet transportation management
- Strong commitment to Safety
- Demonstrate leadership, decision-making and team building skills
- Strong proficiency in computer literacy essential with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Experience with other software such as timekeeping and payroll systems is preferred.
- Advanced skills in technology used to manage the operation to include but not limited to FGA approved Smart technology, Apps, encrypted drives, shared drives and other Smart technology.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to interpret data and perform root cause analysis and assist others
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with others in a team setting
- Demonstrated ability to train, coach and provide leadership
- Collision Investigation training
- State/Provincial Instructor Certification in at least one of the States/Provincial in the Region
- Certified Smith System Defensive Driving Instructor
- Travel required at least 80% of the time
First Student's commitment to putting our customers first, dedication to safety, and an ambition to deliver dependable transportation makes for a working environment you'll love. As a huge company with 120,000 staff and over 2.5 billion customers worldwide, you'll also enjoy security, a brilliant future, and excellent training.
Apply today to join our team!
FirstGroup is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. FirstGroup is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, FirstGroup will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance.
Apply on company website