At Emerson, we are innovators and problem-solvers, focused on a common purpose: leaving our world in a better place than we found it. Each and every day, our foundational values—integrity, safety and quality, supporting our people, customer focus, continuous improvement, collaboration and innovation—inform every decision we make and empower our employees to keep reaching higher. As a global technology and engineering leader, we provide groundbreaking solutions for customers in industrial, commercial, and residential markets. Our Emerson Automation Solutions business helps process, hybrid, and discrete manufacturers maximize production and protect personnel and the environment while optimizing their energy and operating costs. Our Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions business helps ensure human comfort and health, protect food quality and safety, advance energy efficiency and create sustainable infrastructure. Emerson, a Fortune 500 company with $15.3 billion in sales and 200 manufacturing locations worldwide, is committed to helping employees grow and thrive throughout their careers. Whether you're an established professional looking for a career change, an undergraduate student exploring options or a recent MBA graduate, you'll find a variety of opportunities at Emerson. Join our team and start your journey today.If you are an ENGINEERING professional looking for an opportunity to grow, Emerson has an exciting opportunity for you! Based in our SIDNEY, OH location, you will support new product development related to HVAC products supporting Air Management. This person will be expected to execute fast-paced, time-sensitive analysis projects while building the organization's subject matter expertise in heat transfer/exchangers. This position will be responsible for the development, evaluation, and maturation of new design technologies to improve efficiency, cost, reliability while enabling incremental value for customer applications.
AS AN SENIOR/LEAD PROJECT ENGINEER - HEAT TRANSFER, YOU WILL:
- Perform computation of heat transfer coefficients, temperature, heat flow calculations analyzing steady-state and transient conditions in commercial HVAC systems.
- Enhance existing modeling and engineering tools as well as facilitate the creation of new design and analysis tools as needed.
- Apply a high degree of independent engineering knowledge to lead cross-functional efforts in technical development and problem-solving.
- Establish LEAN standard practices applicable to the thermal design of heat exchangers and its relationship to HVAC system operation
- Conceive, mature, and qualify new product technologies per business objectives
- Define and execute development and testing plans based with a mindset towards risk mitigation, and coordinate with appropriate resources for timely execution
- Participate in collaboration and coordination with technical colleagues related to NPD initiatives.
- Serve as a technical resource and mentor capable of developing engineers to follow a disciplined, technical problem-solving process
- Support internal and external customers and cross-functional colleagues by communicating technical and project information
- Formulate and share project updates and technical findings as needed.
- Perform job responsibilities with minimal supervision.
You analyze multiple and diverse sources of information to define problems accurately before moving to solutions. You make sound decisions, even in the absence of complete information. You readily distinguish between what's relevant and what's unimportant to make sense of complex situations. You partner with others to get work done. You achieve gained trust and support of others.REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical engineering, or Mechanical Engineering Technology plus five (5) years of relevant industry experience with heat transfer.
- Solid understanding of heat transfer and thermodynamics and application with HVAC applications
- HVAC system controls experience including but not limited to psychometric testing.
- Independent thinker capable of leading cross-functional programs in a matrix organization
- Experience with 3D CAD software such as Siemens NX9.0, SolidWorks, or CREO.
- Proven ability to integrate different technologies into a cohesive, technical system
- Strong project management skills including developing program schedules, and driving team decisions
- Basic working knowledge of advanced analytical techniques and how to deploy them
- Ability to travel up to 10% for the position.
- Legal authorization to work in the United States - Sponsorship is not available for this position.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Master's Degree in Mechanical engineering plus five (7) years of relevant industry experience with heat exchangers
- Knowledge with analytical methods (Thermal FEA, CFD, etc.) and the ability to assist in structuring studies
- Experience with LEAN methodologies, LEAN product development, and passion for continuous improvement
- HVAC systems awareness, ability to integrate, sensors, compressor with power electronics and other system controls
- Experience using Teamcenter database software
- Modeling and programming using Visual Basic and C++
Our Commitment to Our People
Across the globe, we are united by a singular Purpose: We drive innovation that makes the world healthier, safer, smarter, and more sustainable. We invest in our employees to ensure they have the marketplace knowledge, skills, and competencies to bring this Purpose to life while competing and leading in a global economy. Our training programs focus on end-to-end development, from onboarding through senior leadership.
Flexible Work Schedule – Remote Work Option and Core Hours
This role has the flexibility of a remote work option up to three days a week and a core hour schedule. You can choose to flex your start and stop times given you are working during the core hours of 9:00am - 3:00pm. Our teams work together to ensure our chosen work schedules enable our creativity and productivity as we serve the needs of our customers.
Emerson places a high value on ensuring that employees have a good work-life balance. We provide access to a competitive benefits package, including the following: medical insurance, dental and vision coverage, 401k participation with a competitive immediate match, fitness center, tuition reimbursement, parental leave, and an online wellness rewards program. Immediate vacation and holiday leave available, including a shutdown from December 24 through New Year's Day. Employee resource groups, including a very active Diversity and Inclusion committee, ensure that the Emerson values are incorporated into everyday employee life.
Why Work in the Greater Miami Valley Area
Our facility is located in Sidney, OH which is conveniently located within driving distance to several larger cities, such as Dayton, Troy, and Columbus. The area's generally low costs of living, excellent school systems, and low crime rates create a family-friendly environment. The area is home to several growing communities with restaurants, festivals, shopping, and arts scenes that make them exciting places to live and work.
About our Location
The newly renovated Sidney campus has 1M square feet of manufacturing floor with an additional 120k square feet of leading-edge lab facilities. This location is the headquarters for the air conditioning and cold chain businesses. Through our 30 years of scroll compressor expertise, our air conditioning related products help bring comfort and convenience in commercial, industrial and residential spaces. The cold chain business helps ensure that food safely and efficiently travels from farm to fork. Approximately 1600 employees work in Sidney, who all support a multitude of business functions. With the blend of businesses and functions represented under this one roof, there are many opportunities for advancement within the Sidney location.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
At Emerson, we are committed to fostering a culture where every employee is valued and respected for their experiences and perspectives – and that reflects the world around us. We believe a diverse and inclusive work environment contributes to the rich exchange of ideas that inspires innovation and brings the best solutions to our customers.
This philosophy is fundamental to living our company's values and our responsibility to leave the world in a better place. Learn more about our Culture & Values and Diversity & Inclusion at Emerson.
Emerson will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided. Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J or TN, or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Emerson is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
If you have a disability and are having difficulty accessing or using this website to apply for a position, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply on company website