At Emerson, we are innovators and problem-solvers, focused on a common purpose: leaving our world in a better place than we found it. Each and every day, our foundational values—integrity, safety and quality, supporting our people, customer focus, continuous improvement, collaboration and innovation—inform every decision we make and empower our employees to keep reaching higher. As a global technology and engineering leader, we provide groundbreaking solutions for customers in industrial, commercial, and residential markets. Our Emerson Automation Solutions business helps process, hybrid, and discrete manufacturers maximize production and protect personnel and the environment while optimizing their energy and operating costs. Our Emerson Commercial & Residential Solutions business helps ensure human comfort and health, protect food quality and safety, advance energy efficiency and create sustainable infrastructure. Emerson, a Fortune 500 company with $15.3 billion in sales and 200 manufacturing locations worldwide, is committed to helping employees grow and thrive throughout their careers. Whether you're an established professional looking for a career change, an undergraduate student exploring options or a recent MBA graduate, you'll find a variety of opportunities at Emerson. Join our team and start your journey today.Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
The position is for a software engineer who will develop, implement, debug and support embedded software applications for the Ovation controller and I/O subsystems. The successful candidate will work as an integral part of a global team that is responsible for the design, coding, debugging, maintenance and support of new products and application for the Ovation control system.
This position will encompass all aspects of Ovation embedded products including controllers, I/O systems and control algorithms. The successful candidate must demonstrate self-motivation, attention to detail and ingenuity. He/she will support both enhancements and extensions to the existing software suite as well as the design and implementation of new software applications. The candidate will be able to work closely with on-site field personnel and technical support staff to troubleshoot and resolve issues that occur on customer site. The successful candidate will be expected to deliver technical presentations both internally and to customers.
This position also requires demonstrated leadership skills as the candidate will be expected to be able to lead design teams for specific projects as well as “own” specific product areas. Some of these design teams may be global and include engineers from the Philippines, India and Poland. The leadership responsibilities include developing project specifications, timeliness and schedules, reviewing designs and code.
The successful candidate will also work closely with global integrated and validation testing groups to design test cases and test automation.
- Design, develop, test and maintain embedded control software over the entire software lifecycle from project conception to release
- Develop and execute manual unit test as well as perform unit and integration testing
- Lead project teams for specific design projects
- Provide accurate estimates and effectively communicate status
- Strong time management skills including the ability to adhere to assigned prioritization, meet interim and final deadlines, and thrive in a dynamic work environment
- Extensive experience developing embedded firmware and software in an RTOS environment, such as VxWorks
- Expert level development skills using C/C++, Object Oriented Technologies and embedded development tools
- Excellent knowledge of RTOS coding techniques, IP protocols, socket level programming, interfaces and hardware subsystems
- Experience designing and implementing embedded control algorithms such as:
- PID and transfer functions using discrete time and z-transform techniques
- Neural Networks and Model based control technologies
- Knowledge of machine learning algorithms and technologies in an embedded environment is required
- Expert level knowledge of Matlab and Simulink and associated code generation products is required
- Adequate knowledge of reading schematics and data sheets for components
- Must be able to use test equipment such as voltmeters, oscilloscopes, logics analyzers, signal generators and emulators
- Experience developing workstation applications in a Windows environment as associated development tools is a plus
- Working knowledge of development with .NET Technologies (WCF, WPF, C#, MVVM) is a plus
- Practical experience in software design principles and best practices
- Expert level proficiency in troubleshooting and debugging embedded software
- Experience with PowerShell scripting is desirable
- Knowledge of Microsoft Team Foundation Server or equivalent source code control system
- Experience with full-lifecycle projects, formal software development methodologies
- Ability to work and function within a diverse environment with remote teams
The position requires 10% travel.
The position requires a BS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent and nine years' experience. Ovation knowledge is preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Emerson is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, age, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status. We are committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
If you have a disability and are having difficulty accessing or using this website to apply for a position, you can request help by calling 1-314-553-2544 (V/TTY/TDD) or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply on company website