PRIMARY FUNCTION: As a member of interdisciplinary team, the LPN provides normalized, empathetic, therapeutic and preventative nursing care to clients in an assigned interdisciplinary setting at Elwyn within the scope of the Pennsylvania Practical Nurse Law and in accordance with Pennsylvania DPW, DOF, IOC, and Elwyn's policies and procedures, and other policies of regulatory agencies.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Licensed to practice as LPN in Pennsylvania. Current CPR certification, current PA driver's license. Minimum one year general nursing, or medical surgical experience required, and one year developmental disabilities nursing preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS, WORKING CONDITIONS AND HAZARDS: Standing, walking, lifting and kneeling. Ability to work in variety of environments and settings. Exposed to body wastes, discharges, odors and noises. Occasional exposure to hazards which may cause serious illness or injury (instruments, equipment, body waste, and infectious disease).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviews and revises health care plans every 90 days. Completes nursing assessment every 3 months, and when health care needs indicate.
- Refers clients to physicians when assessment indicates further medical evaluation. Requests back-up from the Campus Nurse/HCC when clients' signs and symptoms indicate the need.
- Performs and records monthly weights and blood pressure or more regularly if indicated.
- Assists physician as necessary.
- Uses discretion during treatment to provide privacy as much as possible.
- Prepares and administers medications as ordered by the primary care and on-call physician, in accordance with Elwyn's Medication Procedures and accepted standards.
- In general, may not take verbal orders; in those instances contact the Campus Nurse to take and record physicians' orders. (N.B. refer to Verbal Order Policy)
- Assesses and reports therapeutic effectiveness of medication and records with pertinent data and any observed side effects to the Campus Nurse/HCC.
- Reviews monthly Medication Administration Record (MAR) from the pharmacy, and makes corrections as necessary, communicating with the pharmacist.
- Administers and documents immunizations as ordered following receipt of appropriate authorization consent(s) by family/client.
- Documents all relevant information according to Elwyn's Nursing and Pharmacy Manual on MAR sheets and progress notes. As well as telling the next tour and Campus Nurse as to new medication and treatment orders; i.e., 10 p.m. to 6 a.m., when Campus Nurse is responsible for medications and treatments. Alerts staff by writing in alert log any pertinent med changes.
- Assesses clients with the self-administration of medication goals as indicated by the IHP. Assures compliance of team approved goals; including data collection.
- Administers and documents appropriately, treatments and their effects, as ordered by Elwyn's physicians.
- Communicates effectively with all members of the interdisciplinary team about treatments, changes in medical status and other pertinent information.
- Dispenses medication and treatments for assigned clients as ordered by the physician. Follow policy and procedure and similar practice standards in distributing medications and performing treatments.
- Completes hospital and emergency room transfer sheets. Cosigns transfer sheet on client return to the main campus.
- Cooperates with physicians, therapists, and other health care staff and interdisciplinary team in planning and implementing the therapeutic program of care.
- Contributes to the development and maintenance of safe and therapeutic living environment, including the monitoring of infectious disease among residents and staff, inspecting the living unit for present and potential hazards to the safety and health of clients and staff Makes appropriate contacts concerning infection control to the Infection Control Coordinator.
- Covers units other than scheduled assignment when necessary for campus wide coverage.
- Assists with emergencies utilizing skills obtained via CPR certification and First Responders training.
- Maintains medical equipment in units, assesses functioning of emergency equipment monthly and after use, and reports any malfunctioning equipment immediately to campus nurse/ HCC.
- Assists in training new employees or on-the-job training and refers staff training needs to their Health Care/Campus Nurse Coordinator.
- Provides health teaching to clients and staff as necessary.
- Transcribes physician orders (including admission and re-admission orders), completes requests for services forms, documentation in chart of status.
- Implements nursing directives communicated by the HCC/CN, shift report and nursing plan of care.
- Contributes to nursing plan of care reporting client problems to the HCC/CN and by suggestion possible solutions to those problems.
- Attends all required in-services and additional in-service hours as determined by OSHA, Elwyn policy, and others as determined by nursing office, unit directors, etc
Elwyn is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
"We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law."
Apply on company website