Job Title: Shelter Supervisor – West Wing Shelter Days Off: Thursday & Friday Pay Range: $41,113 - $46,515 annually Shift: Night Shift Differential: $0.75 per hour Location: Downtown/Pioneer Square Insurance Benefits: Medical (no premiums/payroll deductions for employee coverage), Dental, Life, Long-term Disability Other Benefits: Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Flexible Spending Account (FSA), ORCA card subsidy, Paid Time Off (34 days per year), Retirement Plan DESC is a nationally recognized innovator in homeless services. Our original, and still foundational service, is our Emergency Shelter Program. Since we opened in 1979, DESC has operated emergency shelter for the most vulnerable men and women experiencing homelessness in our community. Unlike traditional shelter systems, DESC incorporates harm reduction principles into all of our work, meaning we ensure we are providing shelter to those who are most in need, not the most willing to simply meet program requirements. Using this model, DESC is partnering with King County to repurpose an unused portion of the King County Jail into a low barrier shelter for men and women experiencing homelessness. The Shift Supervisor is responsible for ensuring the safe and orderly operations of the DESC Shelter providing emergency shelter and support for homeless people and those needing crisis interventions. MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain order and communication/enforce agency rules and policies.
- Take responsibility for decision-making in crisis situations, including calling police and other emergency services.
- Provide orientation and training for new staff.
- Ensure the registration of clients and documentation of services provided during shift are carried out in accordance with established procedures.
- Ensure adequate logging of activities/concerns during shift.
- Conduct regular supervision with each team member and document in accordance with agency policies.
- Communicate with the Shelter Project Manager in a timely fashion regarding staff performance issues.
- Conduct job performance evaluations for each team member in accordance with agency policies.
- Assume on-call supervisor responsibilities as scheduled.
- Coordinate assessment and referral of clients from shift staff to specialized program staff or to outside services.
- Brief staff regarding significant occurrences, potential problems and client needs.
- Assign staff to areas of responsibility, including specific tasks and monitoring of facilities.
- Ensure continuous coverage of all areas of shelter during shift, and that all responsibilities of shift counselors are fulfilled.
- Ensure that shift duties are completed.
- Coordinate screening and acceptance of referrals from various sources. Ensure that client staging operation is handled efficiently and consistently.
- Coordinate shift participation in the preparation, organization, serving and cleanup of any meal service scheduled during the shift.
- Coordinate program activities and services that occur during shift.
- Coordinate recruitment and supervision of client volunteers needed during shift.
- Coordinate supervision and support of community volunteers who volunteer during shift.
- Work with Shelter Project Manager to ensure coordination between shifts, off-site shelter locations and other DESC programs.
- Actively participate in staff meetings and in-service trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work experience in a non-profit or social service setting, preferably working with adults challenged by the experience of homelessness, mental illness and/or substance use disorder.
- Demonstrated crisis management ability & leadership qualities.
- Strong collaboration and problem solving skills.
- Interest or experience in working with participants who are difficult to engage and refer to traditional programs.
Apply on company website