Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for more than 80 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money. Every day.® by offering products that are frequently used and replenished, such as food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, basic apparel, housewares and seasonal items at everyday low prices in convenient neighborhood locations. Dollar General operated 17,266 stores in 46 states as of February 26, 2021. Learn more about Dollar General at www.dollargeneral.com.
This position exists primarily for the purpose of developing store manager bench from an external population. It is a position to be used to give store manager candidates more experience prior to becoming a store manager, and is to be held for a specified period of generally no more than 90 days.
JOB DUTIES and ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in recruiting and staffing activities by attending hiring events, answering questions, and may assist with applicant interviews, if directed by the Store Manager.
- Assist with store merchandising by facilitating and/or participating in staging, stocking and storage of merchandise; ensuring that merchandise is presented according to established practices and store manager direction; and properly utilizing merchandise fixtures, signing and pricing of merchandise.
- Assist in all aspects of inventory management (including proper execution of damages, markdowns, register scanning, paperwork and facility controls); prepare and conduct inventories.
- Follow prescribed ordering practices to ensure the meeting or exceeding of in-stock targets.
- Provide superior customer service leadership.
- Act as a role model by following company procedures and policies as outlined in the employee handbook, SOP manual and company communications.
- Participate in store opening and closing activities.
- Ensure the safe deposit of all company funds in the designated bank.
- Assist in ensuring the financial integrity of the store through strict cash accountability, key control and adherence to company security practices and cash control procedures.
- Assist in the maintenance of clean, well-stocked stores; provide a safe environment for customers and employees.
- Manage store in store manager's and assistant store manager's absence.
- Review operating statements to identify business trends (including sales, labor, profitability, and inventory turn), expense control opportunities, potential shrink, and errors as directed by the Store Manager.
- Complete all paperwork and documentation, as directed by the Store Manager, according to guidelines and deadlines.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier accountability and deposit controls
- Ability to learn and perform IBM cash register functions, including those necessary to generate reports
- Knowledge of inventory management and merchandising practices
- Knowledge of cash, facility and safety control policies and practices (deposits, store keys, SAFE and STARS programs, etc.)
- Knowledge of recruiting, interviewing, hiring, counseling, and termination practices including legal compliance and internal processes
- Knowledge of food handling, safety and sanitation regulations
- Ability to obtain the required local and state food handling management certifications
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Effective organization skills with attention to detail
- Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations where limited standardization exists
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent strongly preferred.
- Two or more years of experience in a leadership or managerial position
- Two or more years of experience in a grocery retail environment strongly preferred.
- Aligns motives, values and beliefs with Dollar General values
- Supports ownership by tapping into the potential of others
- Fosters cooperation and collaboration
- Interacts tactfully yet directly with employees and maintains an open forum of exchange
- Demonstrates responsiveness and sensitivity to customer needs
- Applies basic principles of retail (i.e., ordering cycles, peak inventories, merchandise flow, etc.)
- Provides continuous attention to development of staff
- Recruits, hires and trains qualified applicants to fulfill a store need
- Ensures store compliance to federal labor laws and company policies and procedures
- Frequent walking and standing
- Frequent bending, stooping and kneeling to run check out station, stock merchandise and unload trucks
- Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as hand-held scanners pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise containers and carts, two-wheel dollies, and U-boats (six-wheel carts)
- Frequent and proper lifting of up to 40 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 55 pounds
- Occasional climbing (using ladder)
- Occasional driving/providing own transportation to make bank deposits, attend management meetings and to other Dollar General stores
- Fast-paced environment; moderate noise level
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions
Note: This position requires some travel with limited overnight stays
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply on company website