US Firms Taxes-Management Development Program-Manager
US Firms Taxes is the internal tax department for the US Firms; it handles both the tax compliance and tax planning for the US Firms. Within US Firms Taxes, a small group under the Chief Tax Officer serves a consultative and special projects role in both domestic and international matters of the US Firms. The members of this group are involved in strategic planning with US Firms' leadership to structure and review proposed transactions by the US Firms – including acquisitions, divestitures, and reorganizations. US Firms Taxes also tracks tax policy and determines the applicability of new tax legislation to the US Firms' entities and partners. US Firms Taxes also researches and advises on filing positions taken on our entities' US tax returns regarding various matters, including partnership taxation, accounting periods and methods, capitalization, special treatment of inventory in service businesses, and US rules covering international transactions. This group also assists Partner Financial Matters in measuring the impact of US Firms' business activities on the partners, and assists in issue identification and resolution to minimize potential tax exposure. From an international perspective, this group actively participates in cross-border transactions and projects, tracks the activities of US Firms partners, principals, and employees in foreign countries, reviews withholdings on cross-border payments, works with foreign advisors to determine any required foreign compliance obligations, and subsequently coordinates with those advisors in managing foreign compliance.
Work you'll do
The proposed MDP position is a mixed management and developmental position within US Firms Taxes, preferably located in Washington, D.C., New York, NY, or Boston, MA, however other locations are possible. The manager in this position will support the Chief Tax Officer, a partner; a partner who is responsible for international tax matters; and two senior managers who deal with both domestic and international issues. Daily activities will include researching technical issues, liaising with the US Firms' Finance groups in Hermitage, Hyderabad, and Mexico City, and organizing and managing projects potentially involving advisors in multiple jurisdictions or multiple disciplines. Close coordination of activities with the US Firms Taxes team members in Hermitage will be important. Some travel to other US Firms' offices for short trips will be required, and some international travel is possible.
Developmental nature of the assignment:
The MDP program provides an opportunity to work side-by-side with highly specialized experts. The person who holds this position will acquire a working knowledge of the diverse tax issues of a large and complex partnership, as well as a practical familiarity with cross-border business issues encountered by a US-based services business. In addition to technical development, a key benefit of this position is that managing various projects to implement new legal, financial, or other structures will enable the holder to see and understand issues that arise in implementing tax planning, and how to translate it into actual practice. In its implementation role, the US Firms Taxes group works with several other groups in the larger organization (e.g., Finance, Talent, and the Office of General Counsel) which may be affected by or play key roles in any tax plan.
Examples of matters handled by the US Firms Taxes special project group include:
- Issues connected with establishing the US-Mexico and US-Germany consulting joint ventures
- Research and planning for multiple global delivery centers established around the globe
- Overseeing and implementing various acquisitions and divestitures in our Advisory and Consulting practices
- Representing the US tax point of view for various Global-led initiatives such as Global Financial Services and CoRe Services, as well a member firm joint venture involving the provision of audit software to small accounting firms
- Determining the applicability of the 2017 tax reform law to the US Firms and implementing new procedures and processes to fully comply with its new requirements
- Research and implementation of opportunities for relief due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Creating policies and guidelines regarding the invoicing of products sold to clients
- Coordinating various studies which serve as support for the tax positions taken on returns, including cost seg studies, an R&D credit study, and an M&E deductibility study
- Conducting a strategic tax review to maximize deductibility of certain items in the calculation of taxable income
- Tracking changes in the multistate tax arena and implanting any necessary changes to processes and procedures
- Managing transfer pricing audits involving the US Firms' subsidiaries in India
- Overseeing the US Firms' program for vendor documentation, reporting, and withholding
- Restructuring of the network's captive insurance provider
- Tracking new international tax requirements such as DAC 6 and DSTs
- Advising client service teams on the tax aspects of working cross border, such as individual income tax and VATs
- Working with our Government and Public Sector practice on the unique tax issues, both domestic and international, associated with their business
- Analyzing potential worldwide exposures of the US Firms under the principles of ASC740-10 (formerly FIN 48)
The manager holding this position could work directly with any of PPMDs (the Chief Tax Officer, the International Tax Partner, and the Partner-in-Charge, US Firms Taxes), or the group's senior managers, depending upon the specific project, and could be asked to serve variously as project manager, research assistant, or both.
Specific responsibilities of this position:
- Managing projects as assigned, which may involve any subject matter, depending on the business.
- Preparing agendas and conducting periodic project status update meetings in which project progress and ideas under development are discussed.
- Researching various issues of US and foreign tax in domestic tax sources and tax treaties, and by communicating with foreign advisors.
- Working on the resolution of various tax questions with advisors and subject matter experts (including Washington National Tax) as necessary.
- Creating and implementing processes to accommodate various tax requirements
- Participating in transactions and issue resolution for the US Firms
- Serving as a resource for the US Firms Taxes group in Hermitage, advising on required filings resulting from transactions or activity of US Firms entities.
- Liaising on direct and indirect tax matters with non-US offices around the world
- Assisting PPMDs responsible for international activity in advising project partners of tax status in foreign countries, liaising with the US Firms Taxes group in Hyderabad to gather information to comply with foreign tax obligations, and managing foreign advisors to determine and report liabilities.
- Managing US Firms Taxes WBS codes and related budget.
Qualifications & Eligibility
- Excellent research and writing skills; strong project management capability; good business judgment; strong interpersonal skills to work with individuals around the world.
- A basic knowledge of management and financial accounting
- Background in international tax consulting or compliance or in partnership taxation would be a significant plus.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship, now or at any time in the future.
- Experienced senior consultants through senior managers, who are ranked in the top 25% of their peer group, are eligible to participate in the program.
- These individuals will have demonstrated excellent leadership skills throughout their career within the Deloitte U.S. Firms and will have a local practice office partner who will sponsor them for such an opportunity.
About the Management Development Program (MDP)
The mission of the Management Development Program (MDP) is to place high-performing professionals (experienced senior consultants through senior managers) in challenging technical or operational assignments that will help them enrich their skills and develop a more complete understanding of the organization's mission, strategies, and resources, thereby significantly benefiting our clients, practice offices, and the organization.
While some assignments specify the appropriate level of experience desired, most assignments assume that participants will start an MDP assignment approximately one year after being promoted to manager. While this is the suggested timing, the program is very flexible, since the decision on when to participate needs to take into account the career development opportunities available to the participant in his or her practice office and his or her personal needs and obligations.
For more information on the MDP, please visit https://deloittenet.deloitte.com/PC/SC/programs/MDP/Pages/Home.aspx.
How You'll Grow
At Deloitte, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there is always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help sharpen skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs at Deloitte University, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career. Explore Deloitte University, The Leadership Center.Recruiting tips
From developing a stand out resume to putting your best foot forward in the interview, we want you to feel prepared and confident as you explore opportunities at Deloitte. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte recruiters.Benefits
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you.Our people and culture
Our diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture empowers our people to be who they are, contribute their unique perspectives, and make a difference individually and collectively. It enables us to leverage different ideas and perspectives, and bring more creativity and innovation to help solve our client most complex challenges. This makes Deloitte one of the most rewarding places to work. Learn more about our inclusive culture.Professional development
From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there's always room to learn. We offer opportunities to build new skills, take on leadership opportunities and connect and grow through mentorship. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career. Learn more about our commitment to developing our people.
As used in this posting, "Deloitte" means Deloitte Services LP, a subsidiary of Deloitte LLP. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.
Deloitte will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws. See notices of various ban-the-box laws where available.
Requisition code: 24218
Apply on company website