COUNSEL – LABOR & EMPLOYMENT
The Counsel role in the Labor & Employment Group of Deloitte's Office of General Counsel (“OGC”) provides legal advice and transactional support to the Talent organization and business leaders of the Deloitte U.S. Firms on compliance with the myriad of federal, state, and local labor and employment laws, including, for example, those relating to non-discrimination, disabilities, leaves of absence, wage and hour, restrictive covenants, privacy, and government contracting.
Work you'll do
- Represent the Deloitte U.S. Firms in investigations by federal and state agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (“EEOC”) and assist in the representation of the Deloitte U.S. Firms in connection with external audits and investigations by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, the EEOC, and the Department of Labor.
- Supervise or assist in the supervision and conduct of internal investigations of allegations of misconduct or unfair treatment.
- Manage employment discrimination and restrictive covenant lawsuits, including personally handling mediations and settlement negotiations, coordinating discovery and providing strategic direction to and close supervision of outside counsel; work with more senior OGC attorneys to develop and implement strategy and manage all aspects of complex litigation, including class actions.
- Perform legal and factual research and risk analysis, and provide employment advice, relating to various Deloitte U.S. Firms policies and programs, such as Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I), hiring practices, and acquisitions.
- Provide employment advice on overseas employment matters in consultation with foreign outside counsel.
- Provide advice regarding incentive compensation and other bonus programs.
- Perform other job-related duties, as assigned.
The individual in this role must:
- Be able to present information and advice, verbally and in writing, to other attorneys and clients at all levels of the organization.
- Be a self-starter, possess highly developed writing, communication and advocacy skills, strong counseling and negotiating skills, and be able to manage multiple matters simultaneously.
- Have good judgment and the ability to provide creative and practical solutions to complex problems affecting multiple businesses
- Have well-developed organizational and time management skills.
Required Basic Qualifications
- Hold a JD or LLM from an accredited U.S. law school and be licensed to practice law in the United States.
- Minimum of 5 years of legal experience as a licensed attorney practicing labor and employment law in a law firm or comparable in-house setting.
- Experience in managing litigation and arbitration, as well as participating in mediations and settlement negotiations.
- Experience with legal research and analysis, fact-finding, and investigations.
- The position will be working with Deloitte's OGC office in New York City and will require some travel.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship, now or at any time in the future.
From developing a stand out resume to putting your best foot forward in the interview, we want you to feel prepared and confident as you explore opportunities at Deloitte. Check out recruiting tips from Deloitte recruiters.Benefits
At Deloitte, we know that great people make a great organization. We value our people and offer employees a broad range of benefits. Learn more about what working at Deloitte can mean for you.Our people and culture
Our diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture empowers our people to be who they are, contribute their unique perspectives, and make a difference individually and collectively. It enables us to leverage different ideas and perspectives, and bring more creativity and innovation to help solve our client most complex challenges. This makes Deloitte one of the most rewarding places to work. Learn more about our inclusive culture.Professional development
From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there's always room to learn. We offer opportunities to build new skills, take on leadership opportunities and connect and grow through mentorship. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career. Learn more about our commitment to developing our people.
As used in this posting, “Deloitte” means Deloitte LLP. Please see www.deloitte.com/us/about for a detailed description of the legal structure of Deloitte LLP and its subsidiaries.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status, or any other legally protected basis, in accordance with applicable law.
Deloitte will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws. See notices of various ban-the-box laws where available.
Requisition code: 51745
Apply on company website