DEA's Puget Sound Transportation Group is hiring a Senior Design-Build Design Manager to support our large WSDOT and Sound Transit pursuits and projects. As part of our Transportation team, the Design Manager will be a regional resource that is a strong civil engineering project management professional. The Design Manager will be responsible for the quality of civil engineering work performed, client service, marketing, branding, contract management and project profitability for highway, transit and bridge design-build projects. The manager will also direct and coordinate the activities of Project Engineers, Engineers and Technicians to ensure the project progresses on schedule and within the prescribed budget. The Design Manager plans and manages multi-discipline work performed for the preparation of roadway, highway, transit, and bridge design using local (State, County, City, or transit agency) or national standards from conceptual through final design and post design construction support. This position can be located in our Seattle, Bellevue, Tacoma, or Olympia, WA offices but will also work out of co-located project offices in the region as appropriate.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Coordination with all complimentary disciplines (roadway, drainage, structural, traffic, public involvement and environmental), technical preparation and supervision of roadway and transit design tasks including quality reviews.
- Full managerial responsibility for all aspects of the project, scope, schedule, design, and quality.
- Builds and maintains relationships with local and national contractors.
- Builds and maintains relationships with owners, specifically WSDOT and Sound Transit relative to design-build pursuits and projects.
- Participates collaboratively with the teaming and contract development process, including full coordination with risk management
- Initiates and reviews proposals and sales activities as well as leads and participates in interviews and presentations.
- Leads the design-build proposal process, including technical work group participation and management, technical proposal preparation, alternative technical concepts, cost proposal, schedule, and coordination of these elements with the contractor's proposal.
- Represents DEA at meetings, presentations and public hearings relative to assigned projects.
- Supervises the design and ongoing progress of a project including the coordination of the project with City, State and County officials and other outside agencies and stakeholders.
- Reviews plans, prepares or reviews technical specifications, contract documents and estimates.
- Leads, develops and reviews post design construction related tasks including; NDCs, FDCs, RFIs, PCO, RPs, and leads DEA in contractor project disputes and claims.
- Assures the project team complies with the contract agreement as well as exercises rigid cost control to implement the approved design within established budget restraints
- Supports hiring, development, and mentoring of design-build project staff.
- Professional Engineering license in the State of Washington
- 10+ years of experience on large Department of Transportation (DOT) projects
- 5+ years working on transportation design-build projects
- Experiencing delivering alternative project delivery procurements for WSDOT, Sound Transit or other similar agencies.
- Experience working contractors who are active in the Puget Sound Region.
- DBIA professional
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)/Holiday Pay
- 401k and Employee Stock Ownership Program (ESOP)
- Flexible 9/80 (every other Friday off) work schedule
Transportation Jobs with DEA
The increasing complexities of modern transportation include growing demands, aging infrastructure, rising costs, funding challenges, and environmental concerns. Agencies and communities faced with improving their transportation systems must do more with less. From initial investigations through planning, concept development, final design, and construction, DEA responds with solutions that serve today's transportation needs while accommodating tomorrow's growth. Our Transportation Business Unit focuses on five practices; Bridges and Structures, Roads and Highways, Transit and Rail, Smart Mobility and Construction Engineering Services.
Potential office locations include: Bellevue, WA; Tacoma, WA; Seattle, WA; Olympia, WA.
Apply on company website