The Role Reporting to the Director of Human Resources in Chicago, you will join a local HR team supporting a client group of nearly 600, including 400 hourly employees. This is a union plant.
You will work with two other HR Generalists be responsible for performing a variety of HR duties. You'll spend a good deal of time on employee engagement, answering questions, helping employees sign up for an understand their benefits, promoting employee development initiatives and more. You'll also be involved in payroll, serving as a secondary verification source, reviewing codes and data. This is a hands-on team and at every level of Dakkota and within Human Resources, we roll up our sleeves and jump in where needed.
Additionally, as part of your specific responsibilities, you will:
- Administer various human resources plans and procedures for the designated facility including benefits, leave of absence requests, unemployment, etc.
- Provide assistance and guidance to managers and supervisors on HR policies and procedures.
- Work cooperatively with supervisors to identify and resolve issues.
- Be responsible for payroll administration and administration of the timekeeping system.
- Maintain compliance with federal and state regulations concerning employment.
- Assist in responding to internal and external inquiries including EEOC, legal authorities, government agencies, employee inquiries; notify HR leadership of such inquiries and possibly represent the company at hearings.
- Conduct external and internal recruitment efforts for exempt and nonexempt personnel and temporary employees.
- Monitor Human Resource programs such as: performance evaluation, transfer requests, corrective action, employee relations etc. Quick question for you - click here
- Produce and maintain reports and results of HR department in relation to established goals.
- Recommend new approaches, policies and procedures to effect continual improvements in the efficiency of department and services performed.
- Support and serve as a role model for the company's mission, vision and values.
- Document all activities as required.
- Adhere to deadlines.
- Adhere to all company guidelines for emergency evacuation to ensure employee safety.
- Advise Department Manager of those situations that may pose a significant risk to the program, product assurance, facilities, employee safety or customer satisfaction results.
- Initiate actions to prevent the occurrence of any nonconformance relating to product, process & systems.
- Identify and record any problems relating to the product, process or system.
- Initiate, recommend or provide solutions through the appropriate channels and verify implementation.
- Control further processing and delivery of nonconforming product until the deficiency is corrected.
- Handle additional responsibilities deemed necessary by management.
The Requirements To be a good fit for the Human Resources Generalist opportunity, you will have:
- A Bachelor's degree and 3 years of experience in Human Resources OR a Master's degree in Human Resources Management or similar and 2 years of experience in Human Resources OR 7 years of experience in Human Resources OR any equivalent combination of education and experience
- Human Resources experience in manufacturing environments; automotive industry experience is strongly preferred
- Experience in a variety of general HR competencies, including full-cycle recruiting, payroll, benefits administration, onboarding, training, etc. Quick question for you - click here
- Exceptionally strong experience with FMLA, with an understanding of how to calculate rolling hours totals, verify paperwork, spot possible instances of fraud, explain to employees how the FMLA benefits work, and keep careful records Quick question for you - click here
- Computer proficiency, including:
- Experience with payroll systems, preferable Paycor
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with HRIS systems
- Ability to conduct orientations and deliver onboarding training to groups of up to 50 people
- Union experience required Quick question for you - click here
- Professional certifications (e.g. aPHR, PHR, CPP, etc.) are a plus
- Great communication skills to work with employees of all levels, helping them understand, both verbally and in written form, how to fill out paperwork, what their benefits entail, and answering any questions that arise
- Excellent active listening skills
- Strong business acumen, analytical and conflict resolution skills
- Attention to detail, and the ability to work on multiple projects concurrently
- A high level of professionalism
- Self-motivation and a strong desire to succeed
- The ability to maintain confidential information
Apply on company website