Under the leadership of the departmental Nursing Director, the Registered Nurse (RN) I isresponsible for utilizing the nursing process in assessing, planning, implementing, and evaluating patient care. The RN I is responsible for providing culturally sensitive care that is appropriate for the patient's developmental age. The RN I formulates an appropriate nursing plan of care and effectively interacts with patients, family members, and other health team members. The RN I maintains the standards of professional nursing.The RN I's duties are based on scientific principles and established standards of nursing practice.
- Licensure, Registrations & Certifications:
Requires a current certification in BLS and ACLS. If ACLS is not current upon hire, it must be obtained within three (3) months of hire. PALS is preferred.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Conducts an assessment of patient's condition (i.e., physical, emotional, age, etc.), documents assessment findings, and, in conjunction with medical notes, develops a plan of care.
- Collaborates with other members of the patient care team to discuss, evaluate, and monitor the plan of care. Modifies the plan of care as appropriate given changes in a patient's condition.
- Effectively and consistently performs basic nursing skills and treatments as prescribed by the physician or as indicated by the patient's condition.
- Uses professional judgment in treating patients and modifies the treatment and/or contacts the physician as appropriate.
- Prepares or directs the preparation of necessary equipment and assists the physician during examination and treatment.
- Demonstrates prioritization and decisiveness that enables the completion of typical patient assignments within an assigned shift.
- Analyzes and interprets Diagnostic studies, changes in patient's condition and other abnormalities and is able to respond to and communicate these changes to the patient's health care team. E.g. – Abnormal labs, EKG's, X-rays, vital signs etc...
- Renders Professional Nursing Care in the critical care setting. This includes administration of Emergency Medications, and IV gtts. Must be able to administer and titrate to desired hemodynamic response, vasoconstrictors, vasodilators, Inotropic agents and other medications used in the ICU setting.
- Utilizes and monitors invasive lines, e.g. CVP monitoring, Arterial Line monitoring. Able to utilize and manage critically ill patients requiring mechanical ventilation, BIPAP, and CPAP.
- Manages the critically ill patients in the ICU according to current policies and best practice standards.
- Participates in the patient and family education and rehabilitation process by explaining and instructing patients regarding treatments, procedures, and nursing care plans to help mitigate fears and to educate them during the recovery process.
- Assumes on call responsibility when assigned according to CRHS call policy.
- Attends a minimum of 12 credit hours of continuing education.
- Meets with patients and their families in order to help them overcome emotional problems associated with health care conditions.
- Makes regular rounds to assigned patients, alone or with physicians, observing and evaluating patients' symptoms and reactions to treatments and medications. Determines progress and problems and takes corrective action as indicated or directed.
- Maintains patient records, reports to the proper person pertinent information regarding the patients' conditions, medications, treatments, etc.
- Participates in performance improvement studies and integrates performance improvement standards into patient care activities.
- Participates in discharge planning activities in order to prepare the patient and his/her family for release from the hospital. Acts as a liaison between members of the patient's care team.
- Serves as a clinical leader, implementing nursing concepts, conducting patient conferences, and assisting in directing, orienting, and teaching student nurses, Nursing Assistants, LPNs, and other ancillary personnel.
- Remains current on innovations, developments, new procedures, and techniques in nursing care in order to provide quality nursing care services.
- Performs associated duties, responsibilities, and tasks relating to safety, infection control, and performance improvement as part of CRHS's efforts to provide quality care and services.
- Presents a professional image to CRHS's nursing co-workers, clinical and medical staff members, patients, families, and visitors.
- Attends professional development programs and in-service training and meets the minimum requirement for continuing professional education.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Standards of Performance:
- Performs nursing care in accordance with all established departmental and CRHS policies and procedures as measured by feedback and observation from nursing, medical, and management staff.
- Performs assigned patient care duties in a timely and accurate manner as measured by logs, charts, and observation.
- Complies with safety and infection control policies and practices in the delivery of patient care as measured by feedback and observation from nursing, medical, and management staff.
- Demonstrates reliability as measured by compliance with the CRHS Time and Attendance policy.
- Demonstrates professional conduct and adherence to all safety, confidentiality, and HIPAA standards.
- Promotes teamwork with the entire staff, as well as other contacts within the department, as measured by observations of manager and coworkers.
- Adheres to the CRHS Standards of Behavior as measured by observations of managers, coworkers, and outside and/or inside customers.
- Verbalizes and/or demonstrates core competencies of the unit and department.
- Complies with regulatory requirements, including the National Patient Safety Goals, as observed by peers, supervisors, and other members of the healthcare team.
- Actively participates as a member of the healthcare team by attending all mandated in-services, as well as departmental staff meetings as determined by the departmental Director.
Apply on company website