Get ready to redefine what's possible and discover your extraordinary potential at Covance. Here, you'll have the opportunity to personally advance healthcare and make a difference in peoples' lives with your bold ideas and unique point of view. With the support of exceptional people from across the globe and an energized purpose, you'll be empowered to own your career journey with mentoring, training and personalized development planning.
We have a great opportunity for a Surgeon-Animal House Operations to join our team in Somerset, NJ. This role provides surgical support to client studies to ensure successful study outcomes and client satisfaction. This role requires a strong command of anesthetic management, pre-op and post care, and familiarity with imaging equipment such as fluoroscopy, x-ray, and laparoscopy. Due to the interaction between sponsor and Covance departments, strong communication skills are key to this position. The Surgical Specialist should be able to support the Departmental Manager as needed and perform all OR Technician duties.
Covance's work in developing new therapeutics has an incredible impact on the lives of millions worldwide. Be a part of this life-saving work!
- Performing routine surgical procedures and learning/developing new techniques to support animal model needs.
- Demonstrating subject matter expertise and proficiency in experimental surgery, anesthesia/analgesia techniques in non-rodent (large animal) and rodent species with documented success in recovery procedures and post-operative care.
- Recognizing technical issues and developing corrective and preventive actions.
- Communicating, collaborating and consulting with veterinarians, peers and scientific investigators on best practice, optimization and production of in vivo, surgical models.
- Administering veterinary health care and postoperative monitoring under the direction of the Attending Veterinarian.
- Providing oversight of surgery facilities and maintaining areas in a compliant state
- Providing leadership in the design, preparation and execution of surgical research studies.
- Presenting study results and communicating appropriate scientific information to colleagues and peers.
- Reviewing and authoring technical documents for in vivo procedures and administering in vivo training.
- Mentoring team members.
- Supporting the AV with clinical treatments and occasional weekend calls.
- Enhancing scientific/technical knowledge through lab-based practicums and reviews of advanced scientific literature.
- Bachelor's degree in a health-related field (preferably Animal Science) or equivalent experience
- Certified by AALAS at the LATG/RLAT level preferred
- Certified by the Academy of Surgical Research (SRS, SRT, SRA) preferred
- Five or more years' experience in animal model development and surgery (regulated species) in a drug development setting.
- Exemplary managerial, communication, professionalism and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in a matrixed environment requiring partnership and collaboration with a broad audience of contributors in which communication and management skills achieve results.
- Highly self-motivated, driven to excel, ability to work independently and prioritize responsibilities and projects.
- Exhibits adaptability/flexibility to effectively work in an environment with changing priorities and urgency for project completions.
Apply on company website