Animal Welfare Assistant Apprenticeship
Covance - Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Every day is another chance to help save the lives of millions of people around the world. When you join our team, you get to be a part of that.”
Who we are and what we do:
We are a world-leading life sciences company offering laboratory testing and development services to the pharmaceutical industry across the globe, dedicated to delivering solutions that make a real difference to millions worldwide.
At Covance, we help make the miracles of medicine a reality. We offer opportunities to work on diverse, challenging projects with bright, interesting colleagues while building a flexible and rewarding career. We put our trust in science and in one another. We believe that supportive teams, passionate people and inspired thinking are the formula for Better Science. This is your chance to become part of a team that helps to bring miracle of medicine to market sooner.
As an animal welfare apprentice within Covance, you will provide assistance and support with the day to day care of animals. Following a comprehensive induction process and carefully tailored training program you will acquire a comprehensive knowledge in all aspects of animal care and animal husbandry in a range of different species.
This is an introductory role that would suit someone looking for their first step in a career within the science industry
You will learn the following:
- Clean and disinfect animal cages, animal rooms, hallways and non-animal rooms as well as feeders, water bottles, and other supplies as needed.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and in particular those relating to Animal Welfare, GLP and Health & Safety.
- Collect data - manually or by appropriate computer software
- Handle animals humanely and appropriately for the species
- Animal behavior and how it impacts their care and welfare
- Exercise and socialise animals relevant to the species
- Provide animals with food, water, toys, housing, etc. according to company standards
- Work both individually and as part of a team;
- Work with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for the quality and accuracy of the work that is undertaken;
- Work safely in the Animal House, maintaining excellent housekeeping whilst following appropriate safety, environment and risk management systems;
What you'll receive:
- You'll undertake an Apprenticeship in Animal welfare over the course of 12 months
Must meet requirements for starting a UK Apprenticeship. You are not eligible for this Apprenticeship. if you currently hold or are working towards a qualification at the same or higher level in a related subject.
- You will study for level 2 Apprenticeship,
- A chance to Act as an Ambassador across Yorkshire for Science roles,
- A salary of £13,500 in your first year rising progressively as you progress
- based on performance
- A generous benefits and holiday package
- Progression opportunities and a chance to work on ground breaking trials
- A passion for science,
- A willingness to learn,
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team,
- Great attention to detail,
- Good communication skills
- A passion for animal welfare
Get ready to redefine what's possible and discover your extraordinary potential at Covance. Here, you'll have the opportunity to personally advance healthcare and make a difference in peoples' lives with your bold ideas and unique point of view. With the support of exceptional people from across the globe and an energized purpose, you'll be empowered to own your career journey with mentoring, training and personalized development planning.
Join us as we speed the delivery of ground breaking therapies and anticipate tomorrow's drug development challenges, creating new possibilities for our clients and your career.
By Applying for this role you agree to us sharing your data with our training and recruitment partner for the purpose of this recruitment campaign
Start date: September 2020Education/Qualifications:
GCSEs required. Apprentices without level 1 English and Maths will need to acheive this level and take the test for level 2 English and Maths prior to taking the end-point assessmentExperience:
- * A passion for science,
- * A willingness to learn,
- * Able to work independently as well as part of a team,
- * Great attention to detail,
- * Good communication skills
- * A passion for animal welfare
Apply on company website