At the City of Plano, our values make us who we are and guide us as we SERVE our city. As members of Team Plano, our organizational Values (what is most important to us) make up the acronym, SERVE (Stewardship Engaged Respectful Visionary Excellence).
Summary of Duties: Under general supervision, the Day Labor Center Supervisor is responsible for supervising the operations and staff of the Day Labor Center which facilitates temporary employment between laborers and contractors.
Examples of ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Directs the Day Labor Center by overseeing all operations and activities and by supervising staff.
- Supervises staff by giving daily work direction, evaluating performance, hiring, training, and initiating disciplinary actions for the Day Labor Center staff.
- Develops and implements Day Labor Center Rules, Policies, and Procedures.
- Manages and approves payroll of Day Labor Center staff.
- Investigates and resolves complaints and inquiries, exercising a high degree of expertise, initiative, and independent decision-making to insure a high level of customer satisfaction.
- Provides input in the development of budgets specific to the Day Labor Center operations and maintenance.
- Coordinates requisition of necessary supplies and equipment.
- Oversees the receipt/collection and submission of cash payments for day labor badges.
- Motivates and mentors assigned staff to ensure required policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Oversees the maintenance of job sign-up list for day laborers, and matches workers' skills with contractors' work needs.
- Assists staff in providing translation services to enhance communication between contractors and workers.
- Ensures compliance with center rules and procedures; ensures the safety of staff and workers by maintaining crowd control and order for large numbers of workers; explains the Center's rules and procedures.
- Supervises the maintenance of a database of contractors needing workers; may assist workers in obtaining payment from contractors for work performed when necessary.
- Serves as a contact and liaison with temporary agencies to coordinate workers; recommends skilled workers for regular employment.
- Provides work-related counseling and orientation to work applicants.
- Mediates conflicts and complaints from workers regarding job opportunities, placements, policies, etc.
- Regular and consistent attendance for the assigned work schedule is essential.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Typical Decisions: The incumbent determines work priorities for the center and for assigned staff; determines appropriate job applicants for specific jobs; determines whether or not a worker should be given a criminal trespass warning and required to leave the premises; and determines whether other measures are required to ensure the safety and security of the center. The incumbent determines appropriate policies and procedures for operation of the Day Labor Center.
Knowledge of: Employment practices and immigration rules; principles and practices of effective supervision; methods and techniques of interviewing workers to determine skills; construction trades, landscaping, and cleaning industries; skills typically required for day workers; entry-level temporary job assignments.
Skill in: Providing effective supervision to assigned staff; mediating conflicts; communicating effectively both verbally and in writing using both English and Spanish languages; evaluating the skills needed for a variety of available jobs and work assignments and referring appropriate applicants to available job opportunities.
Education: High school diploma or GED required with two years of college or Associate's degree preferred.
Experience: Four (4) years of experience in a work environment which provided customer service, or which required interviewing and assessing job skills for work placement, or related work with at least one (1) year of supervisory experience. Prior experience in addressing and resolving conflict is required.
Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements
Licenses and Certifications: None.
Conditions of Employment: Must pass a drug test, criminal history background check, periodic CJIS background check (for positions requiring access into Police buildings) and social security number verification check.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions: This is primarily an office classification although standing in work areas and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push, and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
Employees work in an office environment with moderate noise levels, controlled temperature conditions, and no direct exposure to hazardous physical substances. Employees may interact with upset staff and/or public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills which may be required. The position also requires meeting the essential requirements of the Physical Demands and Working Conditions, with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer - EOE/M/F/V/D
Open positions are subject to close without notice.
Apply on company website