Applications Accepted From: All Persons Interested
Division/Section: Community Health Services / HIV/STD and Viral Hepatitis Prevention
Workdays & Hours: * Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
*Subject to change
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
The Houston Health Department is currently searching for a skilled individual who is self-motivated, organized, able to make good decisions and excited to be apart of the team as an Administrative Assistant in the HIV/STD & Viral Hepatitis Prevention section.
- Schedule and organize complex activities such as meetings, local and out-of-town travel, conferences and department activities for all members of the HIV/STD Prevention program.
- Organize and prioritize large volumes of information and calls; Sorts and distributes mail; Drafts written responses or replies by phone or e-mail when necessary. Responds to regularly occurring requests for information.
- Work independently and within a team on special and ongoing projects. Take the lead when asked on special projects and at the request of the HIV Bureau Chief which may include: planning and coordinating multiple presentations, disseminating information, coordinating and getting involved on Bureau specific HIV related projects.
- Type and design general correspondences, memos, create excel spreadsheets, etc. Proofreads written correspondences for spelling, grammar, layout and make appropriate changes. Responsible for accuracy and clarity of final copy.
- Work with key stakeholders of the department and on behalf of the program when performing purchasing activities, job posting's, scheduling interviews for Manager's, make IT requests, provide logistical and general support to staff, visitors and act as point of contact for internal and external customers and/or clients. Stay abreast and updated on departmental policies that directly impact program operations, etc.
- Perform other duties as requested.
WORKING CONDITIONS The position is physically comfortable; the individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc.
There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions. MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Liberal Arts, or a related field.
One (1) year of administrative experience is required. Professional administrative experience may be substituted for the above education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Valid Driver's License and compliance with the City of Houston policy on driving (AP 2-2).
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
Experience with PowerPoint, Excel and Microsoft word
Ability to utilize the Calendar in Outlook
Able to be the lead in team projects
Experience with out of town traveling for management
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Pay Grade 17
SALARY INFORMATION GRANT FUNDED POSITION
Grants & Special funded positions are dependent upon continued available funds. If funding is no longer available, employee may be laid off or transferred. Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call 832-393-4632.
If you need special services or accommodations, call (832-393-4632). (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Apply on company website