The purpose of this classification is to complete a variety of work tasks in support of short and long range planning integral to the bi-state Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO); the Augusta Regional Transportation Study (ARTS) has been designated as local MPO. The Planner, Senior (Transportation Planner) is responsible for supporting the regional transportation planning process by researching, collecting, and analyzing data; tracking changes in regional multimodal transportation land use; preparing reports on transportation projects/ issues; and working cooperatively with a variety of stakeholders. This classification is distinguished from Planner in that incumbents in this class handle the largest and most complex projects and have at least three years of experience as a Planner with an emphasis on transportation or geography.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyzes regional transportation systems and policies for the MPO; identifies and evaluates transportation issues, potential strategies, and measures required for federal and state funding. Researches, collects, analyzes and maintains data used in the regional transportation planning process and in all reports and documents of the ARTS. This includes all pertinent demographic, land use and environmental data, as well as information on all modes of transportation, i.e., highways/roads, public transportation, air, railroad, freight, and non-motorized transportation (bicycle and pedestrian).
- Assists in updates and maintains all major ARTS documents, such as the Metropolitan Transportation Plan, Transportation Improvement Program, Unified Planning Work Program, Congestion Management System and Public Involvement. Develop recommendations for multimodal transportation policies, Growth Trends Reports, performance-based planning, plans and projects for highways/roads, maintenance; assess management, traffic congestion, traffic safety, intermodal and freight movement, public transit, bike and pedestrian.
- Prepares technical memoranda, reports and GIS maps for use in a variety of forums, such as ARTS committee meetings, special events and other public meetings.
- Collaborates with applicable external agencies and partners to complete the work elements in the ARTS Unified Planning Work Program implementing federal metropolitan planning legislation.
- Interacts with federal, state and local officials, various stakeholder groups and the general public on topics and projects related to regional transportation planning and air quality. Provides project updates, makes presentations on relevant projects and provides other information as directed. Makes presentations on transportation projects and plans to citizens and governmental officials at all levels.
- Travel within the Central Savannah River Area to view and investigate the need for intermodal transportation initiatives, studies, and construction as well as transportation alternatives.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Urban Planning, Urban Design,GIS, Geography, Civil Engineering, Regional Planning, or related field (Master's Degree is preferred.)
Experience: Five (5) years in the planning field to include three (3) years of experience in Planning and Transportation.
Licensing/Certification: Possession of a valid driver's license with good driving history. If State license is other than Georgia or South Carolina, applicant must obtain a license in Georgia or South Carolina within 30 days of employment.
- Data Utilization: Requires the ability to evaluate, audit, deduce, and/or assess data using established criteria. Includes exercising discretion in determining actual or probable consequences and in referencing such evaluation to identify and select alternatives.
- Human Interaction: Requires the ability to work with and apply principles of persuasion and/or influence over others to coordinate programs or activities of a project, and resolve typical problems associated with the responsibilities of the job.
- Equipment: Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Verbal: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, advisory and/or design data and information.
- Math: Requires the ability to perform basic mathematical calculations to include decimals and percentages; may include ability to perform mathematical operations with fractions; may include ability to compute discount, interest, and ratios; may include ability to calculate surface areas, volumes, weights, and measures.
- Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of influence systems, such as motivation, incentive, and leadership, and to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to resolve problems.
- Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving broader aspects of organizational programs and operations, moderately unstable situations, or the direction, control and planning of an entire program or set of programs.
- Physical Abilities: Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
- Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, odor, depth, texture, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
- Environmental Factors: Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.
Apply on company website