The purpose of this classification is to perform heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) installation, maintenance, and repairs in Consolidated Government buildings and facilities.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Inspects heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems and equipment to ensure proper operation: checks air handlers, electrical and mechanical components; and identifies problems and needed repairs or maintenance.
- Performs preventative maintenance on HVAC systems and equipment: obtains electrical readings to determine condition of motors, controls and compressors; replaces air filters; cleans condenser and evaporator coils; obtains refrigerant pressures and temperatures; determines correct refrigerant charge; and inspects gas supply lines, gas exhaust piping and electrical connections for tightness and safety.
- Troubleshoots HVAC systems: conducts diagnostic testing; determines causes of malfunctions; and performs needed repairs.
- Monitors construction and installation of new HVAC systems to ensure compliance with plans, drawings, specifications and codes.
- Determines amount of materials needed to complete projects: provides cost projections as requested; gathers equipment, tools, parts, and supplies; monitors inventory levels; and orders new or replacement materials as required.
- Performs general cleaning/maintenance tasks necessary to keep equipment and tools in operable condition, which may include inspecting equipment, checking/replacing fluids, refueling vehicles, performing minor equipment repairs, greasing equipment, replacing parts, washing/cleaning equipment, or cleaning shop or work areas: monitors equipment operations to maintain efficiency and safety; and reports faulty equipment.
- Perform other duties of a similar nature or level.
Education: High school diploma or GED and vocational or technical training in heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration or a related field.
Experience: Three (3) years of experience in construction or facilities maintenance and repair.
- Considerable knowledge regarding HVAC maintenance
- Ability to make recommendations concerning the maintenance or replacement of HVAC units and parts
- Possession of a valid driver's license with good driving history. If State license is other than Georgia or South Carolina, applicant must obtain a license in Georgia or South Carolina within 30 days of employment. ***This position requires driving a county vehicle.***
- Must be able to obtain and maintain an Environmental Protection Agency Refrigerant Handling license within one year of hire date.
- Data Utilization: Requires the ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize, and/or analyze data. Includes exercising discretion in determining data classification, and in referencing such analysis to established standards for the purpose of recognizing actual or probable interactive effects and relationships.
- Human Interaction: Requires the ability to provide guidance, assistance, and/or interpretation to others regarding the application of procedures and standards to specific situations.
- Equipment: Requires the ability to overhaul, restore, renovate, construct, and/or rebuild equipment, machinery, or objects, requiring adherence to prescribed standards and specifications. Requires the ability to operate and control the actions of equipment and machinery, requiring the monitoring, adjustment, regulation, and/or setting of multiple conditions.
- Verbal: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information.
- Math: Requires the ability to perform basic calculations; the ability to calculate decimals and percentages; the ability to utilize principles of fractions; and the ability to interpret graphs.
- Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of rational systems; to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form; and to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives.
- Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
- Physical Abilities: Tasks require the regular and, at times, sustained performance of moderately physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and that may involve the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50 pounds).
- Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, odor, depth, texture, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to verbally.
- Environmental Factors: Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, smoke, temperature and noise extremes, hazardous materials, fire, unsafe structures, heights, confined spaces, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, bright/dim lights, toxic agents, animal/wildlife attacks, animal/human bites, explosives, water hazards, disease, pathogenic substances.
- This position requires staff call up in an emergency situation
- This position requires more than 50% travel from office to other locations
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.
Apply on company website