Directs the staff unit that is responsible for the operation and administration of the department within the guidelines of state and federal solid waste laws and regulations, accepted trade practices, and local ordinances, policies and procedures. Reports to the Deputy Administrator and works with employees, the public, attorneys, contractors, engineers, and federal, state and local officials to provide a safe, efficient, and effective solid waste system to the public.
- Directs the overall planning, operation, and administration of the department including goals, objectives, and technical specifications.
- Manages and directs all activities of the business unit by planning, organizing, staffing, directing, and controlling the staff and other business resources including discussing solid waste landfill and collection issues with customers, interpreting departmental policies, and receiving and investigating citizen complaints.
- Oversees construction of new facilities or capital improvement projects and maintain accurate records to ensure compliance with plans and specifications.
- Budgets and accounts for all revenue and expenditures for the department.
- Collaborates with the general public, business community, other managers of utilities, professionals, vendors and others as necessary to determine the most practical and desirable design in keeping within the budget.
- Plans and prioritizes abandoned building demolitions and vacant lot cleanup projects as provided from Code Enforcement Division / Planning & Development Department, in compliance with federal, state and local laws and in order to meet court ordered activities, as well as optimizing the use of available funds for property cleanup, and securing appropriate liens.
- Performs administrative duties including proposing ordinances and resolutions for policy changes, public relations duties, and short and long range planning concerning future needs and availability of solid waste services.
Education: BA/BS degree in Engineering, Business, Public Policy, or a related field of study
Experience: Eight (8) years of work related experience in landfill operations, solid waste management, and/or environmental landfill engineering.Knowledge/Skills/Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of principles, practices and equipment used in landfill operations, solid waste management, nuisance ordinance enforcement, and management.
- Familiarity with interpreting landfill operational plans, blueprints, and their practical applications.
- Proficiency in planning, directing, inspecting, supervising, and managing personnel and utilization or equipment.
- Mastery of interpreting relevant state and local laws and ordinances applicable to landfill operation, county policies and procedures as related to purchasing and personnel.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to supervise others.
- Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of civil, mechanical, and electrical engineering, public administration, municipal accounting, and budget procedures.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain Certified Landfill Operator (CLO) certification.
- Possession of a valid driver's license with good driving history. If State license is other than Georgia or South Carolina, applicant must obtain a license in Georgia or South Carolina within 30 days of employment.
- Data Utilization: Requires the ability to synthesize and integrate data for predicting, anticipating, and planning for future events impacting the organization. Includes determining strategic and tactical decisions at the highest organizational levels of authority and responsibility.
- Human Interaction: Requires the ability to apply principles of negotiation. Performs such in formal situations within the context of legal guidelines.
- Equipment: Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Verbal: Requires the ability to utilize consulting and advisory data and information, as well as reference, descriptive and/or design data and information as applicable.
- Math: Requires the ability to perform calculations associated with essential duties.
- Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to implement both intellectual and practical relationships; involves responsibility for consideration and analysis of complex organizational problems of major conceptual functions.
- Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in critical and/or unexpected situations involving moderate risk to the organization.
- Physical Abilities: Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation.
- Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
- Environmental Factors: Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditio
This position requires staff call up in an emergency situation.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.
Apply on company website