DESCRIPTION Under general direction of the County Administrator, provides support and guidance by working to achieve the goals and objectives of the Mayor and Board of Commissioners; develops and implements multimillion dollar budgets for areas of assignment; recommends staffing levels, equipment, materials, and other budget allocations; monitors expenditures to ensure compliance with approved budget; and prepares and submits budget documentation and reports to the Administrator. Duties may include managing County departments and personnel, acting on behalf of the County Administrator when appropriate, providing customer service to citizens, and interfacing with other County employees and citizens. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the supervision of professional, technical and clerical staff across multiple departments and functions (operational and/or internal services); supervisory duties include: instructing, assigning, reviewing, and planning work of others; monitoring standards; coordinating activities; allocating personnel; and recommending employee transfers; promotions, and salary increases as appropriate. Manages various county departments assigned by the County Administrator. Attends, participates, and conducts high-level internal and external meetings; represents the County with outside agencies; and represents the County on various boards.
- Conducts one on one meetings with county staff and consults with department and division heads to review assigned projects, resolves personnel issues, and gathers pertinent information. Responds to and resolves citizen inquiries and concerns; negotiates and resolves controversial issues; responds to County Administrator, Mayor, Board of Commissioners, and executive management team in a timely manner. At the direction of the County Administrator, interacts with Mayor and Commission members on a daily basis regarding County issues, programs, and special projects.
- Prepares, administers, and monitors various budgets, including federal and state funds; and reviews and approves budget requests. Monitors work programs of various county departments and reviews project development. Interprets and administers County Ordinances and applicable federal and state legislation; implements County and legislated policies. Represents the County Administrator. Negotiates professional services. Facilitates communication between County Administrator and department directors. Interacts and meets with the public within the county offices or in the community on a regular basis. Performs as a responsible steward of the public trust and strives for excellence in public service, enhancing the quality of life for all.
- Provides information to County staff, Mayor, Board of Commissioners, and general public concerning current or planned County activities; provides assistance to County Administrator in the completion of major administration projects such as retreats and budget preparation; identifies and implements administrative procedures for the County.
- May assist with financial analysis reports in conjunction with budgeting process. Responsible for regular attendance, arriving to work on time, and attending meetings during and after normal working hours.
- Assists with coordinating and participating in a variety of meetings, forums, and other public relations activities regarding program activities; communicates with representatives of relevant local, state, federal agencies, citizen advisory forums, stakeholders, department heads, County/City administrators, and elected officials, and provides information regarding program and project requirements, status, and other issues as needed.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
Education: BA/BS degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, or a related field of study required. Master's degree preferred.
Experience: At least seven (7) years of increasingly responsible experience in a local government organization (preferably in the top manager's office), of which three years must be in a managerial capacity; or, a combination of training, education, and experience that is equivalent to the employment standard listed above and that provides the required knowledge and abilities.
- Considerable knowledge of principles of management analysis and organizational design necessary to analyze, recommend and evaluate programs, administrative policies, organizational structures; principles, programs and practices of local government fiscal management and budget control; principles and practices of employee supervision and staff development; local government programs and organizational structure.
- Ability to plan, organize, direct and supervise the work of professional and clerical staff, engaged in a wide variety of local government services; define problems, collect, analyze, interpret and evaluate data; define and select alternatives, establishing rationale for and projecting consequences of decisions and or recommendations; use communication skills and techniques required for gathering, evaluating and transmitting information, for interviewing, counseling and instructing, and for organizing and directing group discussions at all functional levels of the organization.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others, especially in sensitive relationships with other government representatives, community groups and executives; mediates and resolves conflicts and disputes between operating departments and the Administrator's Office; prepare and present concise, logical oral and written reports.
- General understanding of federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, to include public speaking, conducting and facilitating high-level meetings.
- Must be well-organized and possess strong interpersonal and technical competence.
Certification: ICMA Credentialed Manager is a plus, though not required.This position requires staff call up in an emergency situation.
- Data Utilization: Requires the ability to synthesize and integrate data for predicting, anticipating, and planning for future events impacting the organization. Includes determining strategic and tactical decisions.
- Human Interaction: Requires the ability to function in a director capacity for a major organizational unit requiring significant internal and external interaction.
- Equipment: Requires the ability to operate, maneuver, and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Verbal: Requires the ability to utilize synthesized data and information, as well as reference, descriptive, design, advisory, and consulting data and information as applicable.
- Math: Requires the ability to perform moderate mathematic calculations which may include percentages, basic algebraic principles and formulas, and basic geometric principles and calculations.
- Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of logical, abstract, or conceptual thinking to determine a wide range of both intellectual and practical relationships, and to exercise judgment and make decisions to serve as guides and general directives for an entire organization.
- Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness, and creativity in critical and/or unexpected situations involving moderate risk to the organization.
- Physical Abilities: Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
- Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
- Environmental Factors: Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.
Apply on company website