The purpose of this classification is to perform security and manual work functions overseeing the safety and security of inmates assigned to outside work detail.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Leads and coordinates daily work activities of assigned Inmate Crew: confers with supervisor to obtain direction regarding work assignments and priorities; monitors status of work in progress and inspects completed work; confers with co-workers, assists with complex/problem situations, and provides technical expertise; assists with training and instructing inmates regarding operational procedures and proper use of equipment.
- Supervises the work of inmates assigned to work detail: conducts roll calls and head counts; escorts inmates to area of assignment; ensures that work is carried out safely and security is maintained; communicates scheduling of daily duties and expectations; and trains inmate workers in job functions as necessary; maintains order and discipline among inmates.
- Supervises work of inmates assigned to maintain roadways, right-of-ways, bike paths, trails, city owned properties, and other areas under DOT contracts: obtains work orders for daily assignments; ensures that inmates remain in line of sight at all times; oversees mowing, trimming, digging, and or cleaning of ditches and canals, trash collection, and other maintenance activities.
- Conducts searches for contraband to maintain ARCCI security.
- Obtains and maintains inventory equipment and supplies for work detail assignments: obtains mowers, weedeaters, trimmers, shovels, and other required items; ensures proper working order of required equipment; maintains appropriate levels of cleaning supplies; prepares requests for needed equipment or supplies; and writes maintenance reports for maintenance/repair needs.
- Communicates with ARCCI officials, supervisor, other employees, counselor, inmates, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
Experience: Three (3) years of experience as Corrections Officer or experience working in public safety, law enforcement, and/or military field. Knowledge/Skills/Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of modern corrections practices and procedures and departmental and safety rules and regulations.
- Familiarity with Department of Corrections guidelines and federal, state and local laws pertaining to the incarceration of persons and geography of the County.
- Proficiency in supervising, assessing situations with accuracy and speed, interpersonal relations, use of self-defense techniques and equipment, and road maintenance.
- Mastery of use of firearms.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- May supervise and/or train designated subordinate personnel.
- Supervise state inmate labor.
- Must possess or have ability to possess and maintain Peace Officer Standards and Training, Basic Correctional Officer Training, CPR and First Aid certifications within the time frame required by this department, which is normally within one year but may be altered.
- Due to required certifications, candidates with felony convictions are ineligible to be hired as a Corrections Officer.
- Possession of a valid driver's license with good driving history. If State license is other than Georgia or South Carolina, applicant must obtain a license in Georgia or South Carolina within 30 days of employment. ***This position requires driving a county vehicle and requires the incumbent to be at least 21 years of age.***
- Data Utilization: Requires the ability to compile, assemble, copy, record and/or transcribe data according to a prescribed schema or plan. Includes judging whether readily observable functional, structural or compositional characteristics are similar to or divergent from prescribed standards, procedures or routines.
- Human Interaction: Requires the ability to act as a first-line supervisor, including instructing, reviewing work, maintaining standards, and coordinating activities.
- Equipment: Requires the ability to operate and control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools and/or materials requiring complex and/or rapid adjustments.
- Verbal: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference data and information.
- Math: Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. May include counting, recording of counts, and basic measuring.
- Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to carry out detailed but routine written or oral instructions. Involves routine work according to clearly prescribed standard practices, with some latitude for independent judgment.
- Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
- Physical Abilities: Tasks require the regular and sustained performance of moderately physically demanding work, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and that generally involves lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects and materials (20-50 pounds).
- Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, odor, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
- Environmental Factors: Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, violence, firearms, traffic hazards, toxic agents, or rude/irate customers.
- This position requires staff call up in an emergency situation.
- More than 50% of this position requires travel from office to other locations.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.
Apply on company website