CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is the second largest U.S. communications provider to global enterprise customers. With customers in more than 60 countries and an intense focus on the customer experience, CenturyLink strives to be the worlds best networking company by solving customers increased demand for reliable and secure connections. The company also serves as its customers trusted partner, helping them manage increased network and IT complexity and providing managed network and cyber security solutions that help protect their business.
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated engineer with basic DevOps skills, including creation and implementation of network scripts, coding, and software development. Ideal candidates will have basic networking knowledge and potentially certifications; the desire to work with and continuously grow networking skills is critical to this role.
This position will support the Network and Customer Transformation organization and is an opportunity to work in a DevOps environment for one of the largest IP and voice networks in the world. In this role, you will assist with the creation and support of scripts, bots, and/or tools to facilitate automation and technician efficiency. The ultimate goal of our organization is to increase network automation, accuracy, and efficiency resulting in large-scale network operational excellence.Job Description
- Work in a Network Operations environment amongst network technicians with a goal of optimizing troubleshooting procedures, supporting network health, and expanding technician capabilities via automation and tools.
- Work closely with the Network and Customer Transformation organization individually or in collaborative teams to design, develop, and deliver tools, scripts, and other automation solutions for clients throughout the organization.
- Provide support to the Service Assurance organization for customer network audits and ticket reviews to support network health and customer experience improvements.
- Research, prepare, and deploy network configuration changes manually and/or using scripts to support projects promoting network cleanliness and standards adherence.
- Communicate with all stakeholders throughout a project to gain clarification of requirements, provide project status, identify gaps, identify issues, discuss schedules
- Effectively estimate the time it will take for themselves and others to perform tasks and are able to influence the team's work to be completed within those timeframes
- Effectively categorize support problems and respond with the appropriate level of urgency
- Provide support and enhancements for existing applications and procedures.
- Provide on-call support of automation, tools, and systems as requested.
- Write documentation and provide knowledge transfers to users and support teams.
- Demonstrated experience with programming/scripting languages such as Python and Java and frameworks such as Spring/Django.
- Experience with databases, including MySQL and Oracle.
- Experience working in Windows and Unix environments, including file structures, grep, and basic shell scripting.
- Familiarity with L2/L3 networking protocols such as MPLS, BGP, 802.1q, and TCP/IP.
- Familiarity with router hardware and configuration, such as Cisco, Juniper, or Nokia
- Familiarity with version control tools such as Git
- Continuous improvement mindset and the ability to analyze business processes to identify process improvements and optimization.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while aligning with team best practices.
- Strong problem solving and communication skills
Alternate Location: US-Arizona-Tempe
Requisition #: 217999
This job may require successful completion of an online assessment. A brief description of the assessments can be viewed on our website at http://find.centurylink.jobs/testguides/
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, veteran status, disability, genetic characteristic or information, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, protected statuses). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
Apply on company website