The Research Assistant will be responsible for coordinating the technical activities, experimental protocols, and infrastructure (maintaining organoids/cell lines, preparing media, autoclaving equipment, etc.) of Dr. Wafik El- Deiry's research group in relation to the operation of his research laboratory. The Research Assistant will work closely with the GI Medical Oncologist and Assistant Professor of Medicine, to support research projects. This position will act as a technical resource to lab researchers doing hematology/oncology research in the area of gastrointestinal cancer and to develop and/or resolve technical issues in line with their research goals. This position will conduct laboratory experiments as the major job function, as well as troubleshoot laboratory instrumentation and equipment. Lastly, the Research Assistant will evaluate and procure material and equipment for lab personnel, while monitoring compliance with institution biosafety regulations in conjunction with the Laboratory Manager.
This is a fixed term position with a current end date of 06/30/2023, which may be extended based upon available funding.Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences (grade 7) and a minimum of 1-2 years' experience in molecular and cellular biology laboratory required, or equivalent combination of education and experience (grade 8).
- Experience with immunostaining (IHC/IF), including quantitative analysis.
- Expertise with cell culture and molecular biology techniques; including immunoblotting, RT-PCR, transfection, ELISA. High throughput techniques.
- Experience with in vivo mouse models desirable.
BACKGROUND AND EDUCATION CHECK REQUIREDJob Competencies
- Ability to support lab group and to interact with a diverse range of individuals.
- Excellent organizational, record keeping, task prioritization, and report preparation skills.
- Outstanding problem-solving skills, ability to implement solutions.
- Candidate must have excellent verbal and communication skills, able to present complex data in clear presentations.
- Attention to scientific rigor and reproducibility are required.
- Computer proficiency in MAC and PC.
- Ability to collect and analyze data.
- Ability to work independently as well as attention to detail.
- Possesses a willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive campus community.
Recruiting Start Date:2022-06-17-07:00
Job Posting Title:Research Assistant
Department:Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Worker Sub-Type:Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
In order to maintain 90% or greater universal vaccination rates on campus, all newly hired employees at Brown University must receive the final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine before they begin work, unless they are approved for a medical or religious exemption. All employees must also receive a COVID-19 booster within thirty (30) days of becoming eligible. For more information, please visit the Healthy Brown site.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website