The Data Engineer will support research initiatives within the Brown Center for Biomedical Informatics (BCBI), a transdisciplinary group leading initiatives that span the full spectrum of biomedicine and health care. The Data Engineer's principal efforts will be focused on developing and maintaining a secure technical infrastructure for supporting the integration and analyses of biomedical and health data from health data partners across the State of Rhode Island. The Data Engineer reports to the Assistant Director for Biomedical Informatics & Research Operations. Their principal efforts will be focused on the development of programs and web applications for collecting, managing, analyzing, and visualizing biomedical and healthcare datasets, which may be defined by work supported by extramural grants and contracts.
They will serve as the technical liaison for assigned projects with BCBI collaborators across Brown University and its affiliated hospitals, as well as regional, national, and international partners. The Data Engineer will be a key participant in exploring approaches for leveraging heterogeneous data to support biomedical research, healthcare, and policy initiatives in alignment with the vision for BCBI. Additionally, they will assist the Assistant Director for Biomedical Informatics & Research Operations with strategic planning for BCBI and work collaboratively with other members of BCBI, including additional members of the Health Data Science Team. Candidates with experience in the development of approaches to extract and transform data from clinical information systems such as Electronic Health Records (EHRs) will be preferred.
This is a three year, fixed-term staff position, based in the Brown Center for Biomedical Informatics with the possibility of extension contingent upon available funding.
- Required: Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Informatics, Computer Science, Statistics, or related discipline
- Preferred: Advanced degree in Biomedical Informatics, Computer Science, Statistics, or related discipline
- Two years' experience in a quantitative, computational, or software development field.
- Preferred candidates will have experience in healthcare environments, including the development of approaches to interact with Electronic Health Record (EHR) systems.
- Or, equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong software engineering skills and a track record of developing software in healthcare or biomedical
- research environments.
- Working knowledge with most of the following: Linux operating system, programming languages (e.g.,
- Julia, Python, R, or Java), databases (e.g., MySQL or Oracle), Web languages and technologies (e.g., D3,
- Ruby on Rails, or Java Server Pages), high-performance and distributed computing, and algorithm design
- and evaluation.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities and deadlines, and an eagerness to take
- ownership of challenging and open-ended assignments.
- Effective at communicating with audiences whose technical backgrounds vary widely.
- Possesses a willingness and ability to support a diverse and inclusive campus community.
Criminal background and education check required.
Recruiting Start Date:2020-01-27-08:00
Job Posting Title:Data Engineer
Department:Center for Biomedical Informatics
Worker Sub-Type:Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Apply on company website