A career with Bronson opens up new worlds. Cutting-edge technologies, clinical expertise and business innovations combined with individual human care and compassion are all a part of the experience.
BMH Bronson Methodist Hospital
Triage Registered Nurse: Sports Med
Working under minimal supervision utilizing physician approved guidelines, Triage Registered Nurse serves as a point of contact via telephone for patients. The nurse documents patient phone calls pertaining to medical conditions and questions according to established care guidelines for various conditions and symptoms. Routes the assessment, advice, and disposition to the provider ensuring a high level of communication. For critical situations, acts as the liaison to the provider to ensure patient direction is appropriate and the provider is informed in a timely manner. Employees providing direct patient care must demonstrate competencies specific to the population served.
Associates Degree, Diploma or Bachelor of Science from an accredited RN program; BSN preferred
Licensed Registered Nurse in good standing for the State of Michigan. BLS competencies required
• Must possess excellent interpersonal, critical thinking skills, decisive judgment, effective problem solving, prioritization skills and the ability to process information in a confidential manner • Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with patients, providers and other staff; ability to work independently and think as well as function as an integral team member with other healthcare professionals • Must also possess excellent computer skills and have ability to read, interpret, and analyze data from various computer systems and equipment • Must be able to have excellent communication skills, verbally, in writing and electronically • Regularly communicates orally by telephone with patients • Ability to maintain positive customer service • Must be extremely skilled at listening to what patients tell them • Must hear not only what the patient says, but also have the ability to interpret such subtle indications as the tone of voice, hesitations or incomplete responses • Ability to establish effective working relations with other employees in a team environment • Must maintain the highest level of confidentiality Work which is constantly and exceptionally tiring mentally and/or visually. Conditions exist more than 90% of the work time. The job produces some physical demands. Typical of jobs that include regular walking, standing, stooping, bending, sitting, and some lifting of light weight objects.
• Determines daily which physician/provider is on-call for each location utilizing resources such as Smart Web, practice calendars and practice specific scheduling guidelines.
• Utilizes relevant data, such as the medical record, critical thinking and listening skills, to identify and resolve problems.
-Ability to assess verbal cues to identify patients with signs or symptoms of urgency needing immediate follow up.
-Triage calls from patients to determine urgency, necessity of appointment, or whether phone advice is sufficient and educates patients of next steps such as treatment plan, home care, and symptom changes that require additional medical assessment.
-Under the direction of the provider, provides patient and family with appropriate education and reinforcement teaching regarding their care.
-Schedule patient appointments as appropriate in the PCP office, urgent care, after-hours clinic. Directs care to ED, Fastcare or urgent care insuring patients receives the right care at the right time and place.
-Reviews prescription refill request via MyChart or telephone. Assures refill appropriate based on date and quantity of last refill. Assure appropriate questions answered based on current Opioid requirement and attached lab work as needed for the medication being requested.
-Notifies patients of test results when appropriate. Notifying of next steps.
-Takes verbal orders for prescription from providers as needed. Set up order and routes to appropriate provider.
-Ability to assess chief complaint to determine most appropriate triage protocol.
-Ability to identify appropriate specialty specific protocol.
-RN staff oversee other triage non nursing staff and acts as a resource.
• Follows through in a timely manner on patient and provider phone calls, requests, etc. • Routes the completed assessment, advice, and disposition to the provider ensuring a high level of communication.
• Records and maintains complete and accurate records of patient and/or physician/provider communications according to the appropriate guideline with the electronic medical record.
• Assesses the urgency of the patient problem and works with physicians/providers and patients for critical situations to resolve situations of an immediate nature.
-Participates in the coordination of appointment scheduling with PCP for patients with urgent medical needs or patients recently seen in the ED or discharged from the hospital based on the severity of medical conditions.
• Sets up appointment for patients who need to be seen by a provider the following day or notifies ED of patients who are directed to the ED.
• Participates in performance improvement monitoring. Collects and collates data for monitoring quality of care and works to ensure all delivered care advice meets appropriate standards. Uses the results of quality improvement activities to initiate changes in nursing practice.
• Attends staff and other meetings as required. Participates in ongoing educational activities related to appropriate knowledge and professional issues. Maintains professional records that provide evidence of competency and continued ongoing educational activities.
• Interacts with and contributes to the professional development of colleagues by knowledge sharing.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Scheduled Weekly Hours
8140 Bronson Sports Medicine Specialists (BMH)
Please take a moment to watch a brief video highlighting employment with Bronson!
Apply on company website