A career with Bronson opens up new worlds. Cutting-edge technologies, clinical expertise and business innovations combined with individual human care and compassion are all a part of the experience.
BBC Bronson Battle Creek
Surgical Technologist I BBC FT12D
The Surgical Technologist works cooperatively with the RN Circulator, the surgeon, his or her assistants, and other medical personnel to provide efficient, safe, and comfortable care for the patient. The Surgical Technologist is directly responsible to a RN Operating Room Circulator and the OR Charge Manager. The Surgical Technologist utilizes specialized knowledge to assess, plan, gather equipment, prepare, and maintain the surgical field, re-evaluating and anticipating the needs of the neonatal, pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patient and the operative team as the operation progresses. Care is based on age specific current standards of practice. The surgical technologist must be sensitive to the patient's right to privacy and dignity at all times. Employees providing direct patient care must demonstrate competencies specific to the population served.
Variable start times available
Only ONE weekday call requirement every OTHER week
Only ONE weekend call requirement every 5-6 weeks
No more than TWO holiday call requirements per year
Designated on call sleep rooms available for use
This is a 12 hr day position with flexible start times (7am to 7:30pm or 9am-9pm) and will also be responsible for call as determined by departmental needs. Orientation will take place on the shift of the assigned preceptor which will be determined by the educator.
System wide work is possible meaning staff may be called to work at any surgical location within the Bronson Healthcare System.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) AND specialized formal training from an accredited surgical technologist course or previous experience as a Surgical Tech required.
Surgical Technologist certification preferred
On-the-job orientation from a qualified OR preceptor is required
• Must have the ability to read and interpret data from equipment and computer.
• Must be able to control confidentiality of sensitive information.
• Must have the ability to provide positive customer service.
Work which produces levels of mental/visual fatigue which are typical of jobs that perform a wide variety of duties with frequent and significant uncontrollable deadlines. Work may include the operation of and full attention to a personal computer or CRT up to 40 percent of the time.
Involves regularly lifting of bulky or moderately heavy weights (i.e., up to 50 pounds), and occasionally assisting with heavier tasks or expending the equivalent effort in pushing, pulling, or otherwise handling material, equipment, and other objects.
• Interprets procedure card, assesses case cart for supplies prior to the scheduled procedure time. Identifies missing equipment and/or supplies and makes arrangements to acquire those supplies.
• Applies knowledge of operative procedure and physician preferences by anticipating physicians' needs.
• Observant of overt changes in patient's condition that indicates a problem has emerged.
• Evaluates and updates case information, i.e., preference cards, broken or misplaced equipment, back-ordered supplies, and recommended changes in procedure.
• Remains aware of the proper use of equipment and instruments, and discourages improper use and handling by co-workers & physicians.
• Is observant of the changing needs of the operative field and the surgical team, anticipates potential needs, and takes appropriate actions.
12 Hour Day Shift
Scheduled Weekly Hours
5700 Surgery (BBC)
Please take a moment to watch a brief video highlighting employment with Bronson!
Apply on company website